Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I've been meaning to ask this for a while-- why do iTunes HD videos play on older iPads and iPhones (2s and 4s), while blu ray HB M4Vs don't? I've always selected the ATV3 preset within HB. Perhaps that's the problem.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
The HB presents are designed for optimal settings for the device you will view them on. However it should not prevent the movie from not playing at all.

Are you adding the movies to the device (iPad) or trying to share via itunes/homesharing?

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
The HB presents are designed for optimal settings for the device you will view them on. However it should not prevent the movie from not playing at all.

Are you adding the movies to the device (iPad) or trying to share via itunes/homesharing?

Sorry for delayed response. I've tried to view our Blu Ray rips on my iPad 2 through home sharing. These ATV3 HB encodes do not even show up as options in our shared library within the iPad 2-- only the DVD rips.

On a side note, I have an iPhone 5, and the files show up in the shared library and play fine on it.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Sorry for delayed response. I've tried to view our Blu Ray rips on my iPad 2 through home sharing. These ATV3 HB encodes do not even show up as options in our shared library within the iPad 2-- only the DVD rips.

On a side note, I have an iPhone 5, and the files show up in the shared library and play fine on it.

if they are 1080p files with a high bitrate or are files without an AC3 track they will not play on older iDevices. If you are using the ATV3 HB setting you should have 2 audio tracks, so I'm assuming it would be the high bitrate.

You will be able to play any of your files if you either use the ATV2 preset, or if you lower the bitrate of your files. You can do this either by adjusting the CQ slider if you use that, or by lowering the bitrate amount if you do Variable Bit Rate encodes.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
if they are 1080p files with a high bitrate or are files without an AC3 track they will not play on older iDevices. If you are using the ATV3 HB setting you should have 2 audio tracks, so I'm assuming it would be the high bitrate.

You will be able to play any of your files if you either use the ATV2 preset, or if you lower the bitrate of your files. You can do this either by adjusting the CQ slider if you use that, or by lowering the bitrate amount if you do Variable Bit Rate encodes.

Once again, thanks! I was hoping to avoid having to encode files twice. I don't really use my iPad for video that often, so it's not that big of a deal. I was more just curious why iTunes HD videos will play on it, but handbrake ATV3 encodes will not.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I've found that I can't play 1080p files at all even from iTunes over homesharing on either my 4S or iPad 1. Not sure what the problem is, but either way it isn't anything to do with what you are doing currently, maybe an iOS problem? An expert would probably give you a definitive answer.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I've found that I can't play 1080p files at all even from iTunes over homesharing on either my 4S or iPad 1. Not sure what the problem is, but either way it isn't anything to do with what you are doing currently, maybe an iOS problem? An expert would probably give you a definitive answer.

Yeah, the 1080P files won't play on my iPad 2 or old iPhone 4 over home sharing either. I had to download one of the iTunes HD movies from Purchased directly to my iPad 2 in order for it to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.