Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
zhris
macrumors newbie

Question Dock connector swap?

So my son's iTouch 4g got some bent pins on the dock connector. It will charge, but not sync. I also have an old 2nd gen Touch that has a cracked screen, does anyone know if I can take the dock connector out of the 2g and put it in the 4g, or are they not compatable? I've never taken one apart, and I'd like to find out if it's even possible before I start... thanks!
zhris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Someone with more experience can probably give you a definite answer, but it looks like the dock connector is soldered onto the logic board, so it looks pretty much impossible.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:04 AM   #3
macking104
macrumors 6502

Lot of soldering involved. Here is a video from a repair place in the UK on how to do it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH6rszAhCuA
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhris View Post
So my son's iTouch 4g got some bent pins on the dock connector. It will charge, but not sync. I also have an old 2nd gen Touch that has a cracked screen, does anyone know if I can take the dock connector out of the 2g and put it in the 4g, or are they not compatable? I've never taken one apart, and I'd like to find out if it's even possible before I start... thanks!
I've never done it on the iPod touch but I did a 30 pin dock connector swap on some iPod classic with some success. The dock connector assembly was just soldered at 2 point on either side of the connector to the PCB. It wasn't hard to solder it. The hard part was removing the old solder without melting other soldered components on the PCB. And it was also a little tricky to make sure all the pins of the connector were resting on the PCB after I soldered the connector in place.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
zhris
macrumors newbie

I watched the video posted above, and it looked like each pin had it's own solder point (and I don't even own a solder gun!). Thanks for the advice, it looks like it'll be easier just to replace it.

Thanks!
zhris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Firesign3394
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhris View Post
I watched the video posted above, and it looked like each pin had it's own solder point (and I don't even own a solder gun!). Thanks for the advice, it looks like it'll be easier just to replace it.

Thanks!
You could use wifi sync with iTunes and continue charging the iPod with the cable if that still works.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:52 PM   #7
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesign3394 View Post
You could use wifi sync with iTunes and continue charging the iPod with the cable if that still works.
Wifi sync is a joke. Most of the time it refuses to find my device even after rebooting everything then I can just open iTunes at a random time and it will work but then if I open it again it will not see the device.
tonyr6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Nighttracker
macrumors member

http://www.imore.com/iphone-diy-repa...ock-connectors
Nighttracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch