Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone,
When I look at colors on my mac/iPad/etc from Apple, a color that has R28 G40 B43 looks more green than blue, even though blue is higher than green. It looks like this on other macs/iPads/etc that friends have. However, if I look at it on a windows computer, it appears blue. Can someone explain what is happening?
Thank you in advance

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Macs and PCs typically default to different color temps and gama settings. Often one is warmer and the other is cooler. The solution is to calibrate the displays.

Feb 6, 2012
I agree with Laird^

I've heard good things about the Sypder4 calibrators. Make sure that you avoid using the built in calibrators that computers have. The results can often be pretty terrible.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
If you want a less expensive pretty good calibrator the Huey works well.

Supercal works well for software but ultimately you are seeing different gamma levels.

Embed a color profile with your image.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Macs and PCs typically default to different color temps and gama settings.

No they don't. Since OSX 10.5 OSX defaults to sRGB as well. So both OS-es expect 6500K whitepoint, 2.2 gamma and sRGB primaries. Apple even has new iMacs sRGB calibrated in factory. Very unique to adopt a MS standard this thorough!

BTW, your colour should look bluish-green (cold dark grey). What iPad and macs are you using? What display do you use and what profile did you pick at the monitor control panel?

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
No they don't. Since OSX 10.5 OSX defaults to sRGB as well. So both OS-es expect 6500K whitepoint, 2.2 gamma and sRGB primaries. Apple even has new iMacs sRGB calibrated in factory. Very unique to adopt a MS standard this thorough!

I wasn't aware of the change in 10.5.

Still, calibration is the way to go if you want somewhat consistent color. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you want a less expensive pretty good calibrator the Huey works well.

Supercal works well for software but ultimately you are seeing different gamma levels.

Embed a color profile with your image.

The Huey is like 8 years old! A cheaper alternative would be the ColorMunki Smile or Spyder4Express. However both of these entry level calibrators use cheaper colorimeters than there bigger brothers. I would recommend either the Spyder4Pro or the ColorMunki display if you can afford it. I've used both and got slightly better results with the CM.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
How old it is doesn't matter. The software is upgraded and the hardware is hardware.
Actually not true. A lot of old colorimeters don't correctly deal with LED backlights, and many of them use filters inside which age and shift in color, leading to incorrect calibrations.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
How old it is doesn't matter. The software is upgraded and the hardware is hardware.

How's that PowerMac G4 working out for you? ;)

The hardware has changed and improved greatly in that time. Take a look at some reviews and comparisons between the Spyder 2/3/4.

That said, even the Huey will be better than nothing but it isn't worth investing in these days (IMO).

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Well. The point of mentioning it was because you can get them ridiculously cheap. that's why it was listed as the less expensive option. I think I paid $20. And it beats software calibration

My Rmbp is doing fine thanks as are my rx1 and 100, nex 5m with legacy contax lemses, and 5d2 w L glass. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.