Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think you missed the point, instead of shipping the game with what it should of had in the first place they crippled it to sell more expansions/new versions down the line.

I don't think they "intentionally crippled it to sell expansions".

You see, this is the problem with holding info on the servers. You want to give people the ability to play as soon as possible, but you also want to make sure people can play well.

How big should the servers be?

How many servers in general should there be?

As fun as it is to bash EA, this reminds me of the Diablo 3 fiasco.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Not entirely the same as SimCity, but hearing some good things about Cities in Motion...
I got that game via IGN for free when the developer was giving it away. I'm also new to the series but I think Cities XL is part of the series. Steam was recently selling it for $29 :)

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
New Sim City Mac version

Here is a quick hack for a Mac version of the new Sim City. Just open this image in preview and set it to fullscreen:

SimCity-2013-03-05-20-09-50-44.jpg

Runs great even on my old 2008 mbp! :D

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
The game itself is actually great (although city sizes could be a bit bigger and I miss subways). I've been playing through bootcamp since launch day and whilst I had problems getting onto a server for the first couple of days, I can get on fine now. The Maxis team are actually doing a very good job of updating the game as quickly as they can. The current problem I'm having regards having to rollback my city and then it being unable to load which means all the time put into is lost which is a pain in the arse. Once they get that sorted though, I'll be even happier with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.