Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Marvel Once Again Offers Up 700 Free First Issue Comics

Back in March, Marvel announced that it would give away 700 of its No. 1 digital comics as part of a South by Southwest promotion. Unfortunately, the promotion caused more demand than expected and Marvel shut it down early after the ComiXology servers were overwhelmed with requests.

Marvel today resurrected the promotion, once again offering consumers the chance to download 700 first issue comic books. In order to compensate for demand, Marvel is using a sign up page and rolling invitations to facilitate a more manageable server load.
Quote:
Sign up now for your free Marvel.com account for access to the Marvel #1 promotion and get:
-Over 700 Marvel comics that you can read anywhere -- on your computer or compatible mobile device - available for free for a very limited time.
-Exclusive comic book offers, special sales and new release emails
-Access to over 10,000 digital comics powered by Guided View technology
To access the free comics, users can sign up on the website between 9:00 a.m. EST on April 8 and 11:59 p.m EST on April 9 with an email address. Invitations can be redeemed beginning on April 11.

Article Link: Marvel Once Again Offers Up 700 Free First Issue Comics
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:42 PM   #2
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Awesome, I'll be happy to try this out again. Hopefully this time the servers hold!
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
applesith
macrumors 68000

Yes! I'm so happy they are giving it another try!
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:06 PM   #4
bushido
macrumors 601

smart move. hopefully i can actually download something this time around
Old Apr 8, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5
extricated
macrumors regular

haha! I wondered what happened to the promotion that first time around.

Thanks for the post!
extricated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Frado
macrumors member

"Once you receive your Marvel #1 invite, you will have 48 hours to choose your FREE Marvel #1 issues!"

So you have to pick the ones you want? Or can you select them all?
Frado is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 03:56 PM   #7
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
smart move. hopefully i can actually download something this time around
I just went onto the comixology site and added them to basket, then can just download them whenever I want at a later date. Dunno why more people didn't do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frado View Post
"Once you receive your Marvel #1 invite, you will have 48 hours to choose your FREE Marvel #1 issues!"

So you have to pick the ones you want? Or can you select them all?
You can select them all. Login thru the comixology website and pick what you want or select them all. Last time they were split into sections: Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-man, X-Men, etc.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
wingsabre
macrumors regular

I hope DC would have a similar offer like this. Marvel even has Marvel Mondays on Comixology, with 99 cent issues. DC has major releases on Wednesdays but that's about it. There are some sales of back issues, but for the most part they don't have any constant big promotion.
wingsabre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Cool...I'm in.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:53 AM   #10
theFATangel
macrumors newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
I just went onto the comixology site and added them to basket, then can just download them whenever I want at a later date. Dunno why more people didn't do it that way. You can select them all. Login thru the comixology website and pick what you want or select them all. Last time they were split into sections: Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-man, X-Men, etc.
I logged in myself but cannot seem to find where they list the free 700 that will be available come Thursday. Am I missing something? I already registered.

Maurice
theFATangel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:54 AM   #11
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFATangel View Post
I logged in myself but cannot seem to find where they list the free 700 that will be available come Thursday. Am I missing something? I already registered.

Maurice
I was meaning when they did it first time round, that's what I did so that should apply when it's back again.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:34 AM   #12
BladesOfSteel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFATangel View Post

Maurice
I was able to download a few before the servers went to crap - from what I could tell - if it was the first issue, of any given series and/or volume, (for example, I was able to get the #1 for Avengers, Vol 2, Vol 3 and Vol 4. I already had #1 Vols 1 & 5.) then it was on the list.

They even had the #1s for the mini-series - like "Loki" which was only a 4 issue run. (Awesome, run, by the way.)
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:48 PM   #13
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesOfSteel View Post
I was able to download a few before the servers went to crap - from what I could tell - if it was the first issue, of any given series and/or volume, (for example, I was able to get the #1 for Avengers, Vol 2, Vol 3 and Vol 4. I already had #1 Vols 1 & 5.) then it was on the list.

They even had the #1s for the mini-series - like "Loki" which was only a 4 issue run. (Awesome, run, by the way.)
Yea it's pretty much all the Number 1's they've ever done, I added about 600 to my basket when it was up last time, knowing I can just download them at a later date when I want. that's the beauty of the comixology site rather than using the iOS app, you can download it at a later date as opposed to the app where it just downloads each one.

As I said, it was broken down into categories, like Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. they included the other things like Castle. wizard of oz, etc.

Interestingly this time round it says 'over' 700, last time it was exactly 700 if I remember rightly.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:31 PM   #14
BladesOfSteel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
Yea it's pretty much all the Number 1's they've ever done, I added about 600 to my basket when it was up last time, knowing I can just download them at a later date when I want. that's the beauty of the comixology site rather than using the iOS app, you can download it at a later date as opposed to the app where it just downloads each one.

As I said, it was broken down into categories, like Marvel Now, Avengers, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. they included the other things like Castle. wizard of oz, etc.

Interestingly this time round it says 'over' 700, last time it was exactly 700 if I remember rightly.
Maybe they will include Thanos #1 that was new last week... Here is to hoping...
Old Apr 10, 2013, 01:36 AM   #15
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Maybe they will include Thanos #1 that was new last week... Here is to hoping...
Doubt that but maybe nova #1 & Guardians of the Galaxy #1
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:34 AM   #16
caseys
macrumors member

logged back into the iOS app today, the free promo isn't appearing, I too tried last time to download many and they just crapped out. I think it looks like you needed to do this specific signup, rather than have an existing account by that time and just check today.... what crap.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:29 PM   #17
BladesOfSteel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseys View Post
logged back into the iOS app today, the free promo isn't appearing, I too tried last time to download many and they just crapped out. I think it looks like you needed to do this specific signup, rather than have an existing account by that time and just check today.... what crap.
Yeah, once their servers crapped out, they created a page where you had to input your email address to get notification about the promo.

I got my email on Monday that stated since I had an account, all I had to do was wait until today to get a follow email with my special invite URL.

We'll see. Haven't gotten anything yet.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:02 PM   #18
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseys View Post

Quote:
Yeah, once their servers crapped out, they created a page where you had to input your email address to get notification about the promo.

I got my email on Monday that stated since I had an account, all I had to do was wait until today to get a follow email with my special invite URL.

We'll see. Haven't gotten anything yet.
You had to do the sign up, once done, people are being let in in waves starting today, only a few peeps will get email at a time, so you might have to wait a couple days before getting the invite URL
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Frado
macrumors member

"
Why don't you have an Add All to Cart option?

To make sure we have the smoothest possible experience for all users, we chose to remove that option. It was a...
Mar 28, 2013 11:48AM EDT
"

Got my email today, but I can only select the comics 1 per 1. Any other way to add them to your cart all at once? Maybe a (greasemonkey) script or something, I dunno..
http://prntscr.com/10auco
Frado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:37 PM   #20
milo
macrumors 603

Doing it now. The web page is nice since it lets you just "buy" them without having to download each one, I assume once they're in the account they can be downloaded whenever.

It's a pain you can't add all or add all of a section, I assume they want people to pick and choose instead of adding them all, but I'm sure lots of people will do that anyway.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion