Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:42 AM   #51
throAU
macrumors 68030

Seriously, this is a disgrace. The fact that it is even considered justifiable to digitally rape a woman at the roadside (because let's not sugar coat it, this is what it is) on the SUSPICION that she MAY have hidden an amount of some illegal substance small enough to fit up there is just abhorrent in the extreme.

Yes, what I am saying is this: EVEN IF SHE HID SOMETHING THERE, it does NOT justify the treatment she endured. Period.

Just because you have a badge, it doesn't mean sexual assault is OK.
throAU is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:57 AM   #52
waa1futs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
EVEN IF SHE HID SOMETHING THERE, it does NOT justify the treatment she endured. Period.
Not that I disagree, but who are you to decide this?
waa1futs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:17 AM   #53
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
Not that I disagree, but who are you to decide this?
What is the penalty for possession?
What is the penalty for RAPE?

Ends do not justify the means.

If they really, desperately wanted to search her, take her to the hospital and do an x-ray.

Cavity search like this is purely for intimidation purposes, nothing else.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:20 AM   #54
waa1futs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
What is the penalty for possession?
What is the penalty for RAPE?

Ends do not justify the means.

If they really, desperately wanted to search her, take her to the hospital and do an x-ray.

Cavity search like this is purely for intimidation purposes, nothing else.
You didn't answer my question at post #52.
waa1futs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:23 AM   #55
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Woah, really? I'd love to see a citation on that, as that's how I get busted for possession about 10+ years ago.
Might not be in every state but here in my home state it's definitely the case, our top state court ruled that 2 years ago. I've seen similar rulings in other states too, and up in Canada. I'm not sure if there's some website that lists the rules regarding that in every state or not.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...or_of_mar.html

Quote:
The odor of burnt marijuana is no longer enough for police officers to order a person from their car, now that possession of less than an ounce of marijuana has been decriminalized in Massachusetts, the state's highest court ruled today.

"Without at least some other additional fact to bolster a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, the odor of burnt marijuana alone cannot reasonably provide suspicion of criminal activity to justify an exit order," the court ruled in a decision written by Chief Justice Roderick Ireland.

http://www.dfwnorml.org/smell-of-mar...t-a-residence/

Here's one regarding Texas... the article deals with homes and not cars, but still the same ruling that smell is not probable cause for a search.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #56
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
(Seriously, seeing people toss takeout lunch boxes on road really irks me.)
This lady didn't throw a lunch box out the window. She threw her cigarette butt out the window. While still littering, and a fire hazard, it is not--in my opinion--remotely close to throwing lunch boxes out the window.

Michael
Tinmania is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #57
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
  • Searching a vehicle
  • searching a person with a pat-down
  • "strip searching" a person

must all have different criteria for when they're allowed (either codified in law or in police procedures).

I guess we have to find that law or procedure and see if it was adhered to. Usually it's something along the lines of "possibility of imminent danger to the detainee or officer", and drugs of any kind aren't dangerous in and of themselves.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:56 PM   #58
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
I guess we have to find that law or procedure and see if it was adhered to. Usually it's something along the lines of "possibility of imminent danger to the detainee or officer", and drugs of any kind aren't dangerous in and of themselves.
Just to add to that, if they suspected the driver was under the influence of illegal drugs, there are tests. Possession of marijuana in small amounts is a Class B misdemeanor in the state of Texas. I just googled it, but none of the sources disagreed. That is a pretty excessive way to check after pulling someone over for littering.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 01:08 PM   #59
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I think the police payout answers your question perfectly well.
skunk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 04:21 PM   #60
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
This lady didn't throw a lunch box out the window. She threw her cigarette butt out the window. While still littering, and a fire hazard, it is not--in my opinion--remotely close to throwing lunch boxes out the window.

Michael
Reminds me of this ad:
http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/abo...teairforce.php

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=561686503830
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:10 AM   #61
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
That ad is just really awesome. Don't mess with the texas confederate air force or we'll fire mussels at y'all.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:03 PM   #62
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Well the female officer doing the search did get fired, but she just got re-hired!

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onlin...d#.UgffVRbbh4E

I wouldn't just say it's Texas either. I'm guessing this stuff goes on in many different places. They might get fired or suspended, but never really get in trouble and soon find a new law enforcement job.

At least the guy was terminated, however it would not be surprising if he doesn't move to a new area and becomes a cop again.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:34 PM   #63
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
I guess the only issue I would have is if they did it off video and by an opposite sex officer. Lesson learned is don't borrow you pot head boyfriends car.
So you think it's ok that women are essentially forced to be raped to locate some possible plant material!?

Like seriously, personally I don't give a **** if a cop is male or female I don't want them anywhere near my intimate parts, there's absolutely no excuse for that level of personal invasion by a police officer. Truthfully I don't see any reason for stripsearch, never mind cavity search unless there are suspected explosives.

Lesson learned? really? it seems a common theme with your posts if only these people in these predicaments were better at life and weren't poor, didn't have relationships with "pot heads" or otherwise just conformed to your worldview. It just oh so conveniently makes it their fault that they've not bent their entire life to the pitiful excuse for "morality" you go in for.

Some day I hope you reap what your vitriolic opinions sew.
Mord is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:32 PM   #64
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord View Post
So you think it's ok that women are essentially forced to be raped to locate some possible plant material!?

Like seriously, personally I don't give a **** if a cop is male or female I don't want them anywhere near my intimate parts, there's absolutely no excuse for that level of personal invasion by a police officer. Truthfully I don't see any reason for stripsearch, never mind cavity search unless there are suspected explosives.

Lesson learned? really? it seems a common theme with your posts if only these people in these predicaments were better at life and weren't poor, didn't have relationships with "pot heads" or otherwise just conformed to your worldview. It just oh so conveniently makes it their fault that they've not bent their entire life to the pitiful excuse for "morality" you go in for.

Some day I hope you reap what your vitriolic opinions sew.
It's just the typical conservative attitude... basically "it's not my problem". They don't care about problems that don't effect them directly like this and make excuses or dismiss it.. until it does directly effect them. Then they change their tune.

Reminds me a lot of the people who are against natural disaster relief like FEMA then are the first to start crying that the government isn't helping fast enough when **** hits the fan like Hurricane Sandy last year.

Something tells me if edk99 was stopped by the police and forced him to undergo a cavity search for no legitimate reason, he'd probably be quite angry and wouldn't just chalk it up to "lesson learned".
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues