Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
Today I restarted my ATV3 as Netflix kept quitting during movie playback. Once it restarted I noticed there was a lot of new content - much sought after new content! So I tried watching The Grey, to which Netflix said it wasn't available for streaming. Tried Hugo and some others and got the same error..

So I restarted the ATV again, this time the new content had reverted back to the same rubbish that had been there for months.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, or knows how to get it back?

Something that crossed my mind was maybe I'd been sent to the US version by mistake??

TheKingOfHearts

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Having access to both UK and US Netflix content, sounds like yes, you have for some reason been awarded, albeit temporarily, US content, as my US Netflix has The Grey on the front screen..

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Today I restarted my ATV3 as Netflix kept quitting during movie playback. Once it restarted I noticed there was a lot of new content - much sought after new content! So I tried watching The Grey, to which Netflix said it wasn't available for streaming. Tried Hugo and some others and got the same error..

So I restarted the ATV again, this time the new content had reverted back to the same rubbish that had been there for months.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, or knows how to get it back?

Something that crossed my mind was maybe I'd been sent to the US version by mistake??

If you want that US content I would suggest signing up to unblock-us the cost is $5 us dollars so thats chump change for you Brits lol...

stevebubble

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
UK
If you want that US content I would suggest signing up to unblock-us the cost is $5 us dollars so thats chump change for you Brits lol...

If you have a mac go to mediahint.com and install their extension into chrome as it lets you access US versions of Netflix, Hulu, Pandora etc. You can then access US versions on the mac and mirror them to your Apple TV.

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
Why is Netflix content in the UK so nostril offendingly stinky? The last time on there I could only find one thing I wanted to watch. Even if it were free I'd think I was getting a bad deal.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
Yeah I suspect it was US content, I was considering cancelling it anyway, because as mentioned above the UK content is terrible.

I've tried the unblock US on my Xbox previously, so may consider doing that again - is there a problem switching back to UK content should I need to? I assume it's just a DNS change on the ATV?

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Unblockus has a function, through their web site, where once subscribed you can choose what version of Netflix you want to use through a simple drop down menu.

So you have access to US, UK, Canadian, Mexican (etc) Netflix and can move back and forth between the one you want at any given time.

For example, Canadian Netflix often has decent movies that are not on US Netflix but the latter has many more TV shows.

Last edited:

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Unblockus has a function, through their web site, where once subscribed you can choose what version of Netflix you want to use through a simple drop down menu.

So you have access to US, UK, Canadian, Mexican (etc Netflix) and can move back and forth between the one you want at any given time.

For example, Canadian Netflix often has decent movies that are not on US Netflix but the latter has many more TV shows.

How quickly can this be done? IE could I watch something on Canadian Netflix then switch the drop down menu on Unblock US to US and watch something there?

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
If you are already in the netflix app you just have to exit after you switch the location on the unblockus website and then re-enter the Netflix app.

Last edited:

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
Good to know, thank you. Of course this wouldn't be necessary if Netflix UK had a lot more content. I've enjoyed it for catching up on TV for a couple of months, but now I feel like I've exhausted the decent content :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.