Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madhvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
OKAY, this is pretty annoying
So I've had my iPad 7 months and I've ran out of storage????????? :mad::mad:
Okay so when I first had my iPad I had over 900 images now I have 400 because I had to delete loads or put them on my laptop (not apple) and it still says I've got no space I only have 17 apps, no vids, and no music!!!
I've never plugged my iPad into my laptop because I haven't got iTunes on it
And it's not on iCloud either!
What shall I do? Please help
From
Worried teen who wants to take excessive pictures of her posing with her hipster friends

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Okay so when I first had my iPad I had over 900 images now I have 400 because I had to delete loads or put them on my laptop (not apple) and it still says I've got no space I only have 17 apps, no vids, and no music!!!
From
Worried teen who wants to take excessive pictures of her posing with her hipster friends

Try restoring the iPad.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
From

Look in Settings/ General/ Usage/ this will show you what is using up that space and allows you to delete things.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Ohhh...You have USED 13GB? I was under the impression that you only had used a minimal amount of space, but the iPad was reporting more.

Madhvi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Ohhh...You have USED 13GB? I was under the impression that you only had used a minimal amount of space, but the iPad was reporting more.

Yes but I've hardly got anything on my iPad. Hm

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Offload your pictures to a photo share site like PhotoStream. Save them on DropBox, SkyDrive or a NAS.
Get PhotoSync as it'll allow you to transfer to almost anything.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Look in Settings/ General/ Usage/ this will show you what is using up that space and allows you to delete things.

Do this!!

It sorts everything from the biggest to smallest in terms of taking up space. You can then delete what is not a priority.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Try soft resetting the iPad.

Hold down the power and home button until the iPad shuts-down, then reboots.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
You know you can put iTunes on your laptop.

Its a free program.

Then you can use it to backup the files on your iPad so you dont lose them.

Then you can try to restore the iPad to original settings and put your files back on the iPad.

If you try to do that stuff without itunes on your laptop you will lose all your pics.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada

It may look that way, but you'd be surprised how much space things like video and apps may take up. Either remove content completely or put it online so you'll still be able to access it on your iPad over Wi-Fi or cellular, depending on which model of iPad you have.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
The number of images is not directly proportional to the amount of space consumed. 100 hi-res photos will take up a lot more space than 100 low-res photos.

I personally would install a photo transfer program on your computer, connect the iPad to the computer and download all those images onto the computer and then delete the ones you don't need on the iPad.

But I would definitely check the usage on the iPad to confirm that your photos are taking up most of the space. If they are, then delete some photos, take less photos or get a larger capacity iPad. :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Apparently you've got some apps that take up a lot of space. Either delete something or upgrade to a larger capacity iPad.

Offload your pictures to a photo share site like PhotoStream. Save them on DropBox, SkyDrive or a NAS.
Get PhotoSync as it'll allow you to transfer to almost anything.

Agreed, you need to store all of your "hipster" photos someplace other than the iPad.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Did you follow the instructions posted very early in this thread? It will show you exactly what is taking up space.

If you can't follow those instructions, I'm not sure we can help you.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Agreed, you need to store all of your "hipster" photos someplace other than the iPad.

Make a Dropbox account and put your pictures on there. Download the Dropbox app from the App Store and transfer all of your photos to it. It might take a while for them to transfer depending on how large or how many pictures you have. Dropbox gives you 2GB for free, but there are many things you can do to get extra free space. I have 24GB on my Dropbox and haven't spent a penny.

Another alternative is to buy PhotoSync from the App Store for $1.99 and use it to transfer all your pictures to Google Drive or Amazon's Cloud storage thingy, or some other website. There are literally hundreds of places that will give you plenty of storage for your pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.