Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I have a MiFi dongle. If my MacBook Air is already running when I turn on my dongle, the Mac won't connect to it. To make it connect I need to manually select it from the list of available networks. Why is this?!

My phone and my tablet both connect to it when it appears, but my Mac needs me to hold its hand.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a MiFi dongle. If my MacBook Air is already running when I turn on my dongle, the Mac won't connect to it. To make it connect I need to manually select it from the list of available networks. Why is this?!

My phone and my tablet both connect to it when it appears, but my Mac needs me to hold its hand.
If you add the network to your list of preferred networks, it should automatically join whenever it detects the network.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It will automatically connect. However in your case you may have set it to not automatically join that network.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This annoys me too; I set my iPhone to tether but need to manually select the network from the list because it doesn't automatically connect despite being a preferred network. It only auto-connects when waking from sleep.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This annoys me too; I set my iPhone to tether but need to manually select the network from the list because it doesn't automatically connect despite being a preferred network. It only auto-connects when waking from sleep.

Have you have checked "Ask to join new networks" in System Preferences > Network > AirPort ?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not sure; I'm at work right now so I can't check at the moment. I'm mostly likely using whatever the default is.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not sure; I'm at work right now so I can't check at the moment. I'm mostly likely using whatever the default is.
After checking that, you might try removing the network from your preferred list, then re-adding it, if you haven't tried that already.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
If you add the network to your list of preferred networks, it should automatically join whenever it detects the network.

I've just been trying it with my home network (Airport Extreme) and the same is true:

If the network is available when my MacBook Air wakes/boots, it'll see and join any known networks.

But if the network only becomes available after the Mac has woken, it'll see it but won't join it. When opening the list of available networks, I can see both my networks (dongle and Airport) but it won't join either of them until I select it.

Both my Samsung S3 and Nexus 7 will see and then join, without my input. Why can't the Mac do the same?!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My Mac's don't need to be told to join the network. They automatically do it. Your setup might be configured differently or your version of Mac OS X has a few bugs left in it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
After checking that, you might try removing the network from your preferred list, then re-adding it, if you haven't tried that already.

It was the same behaviour on my old machine too so I don't think that's the issue (although I'll try it).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I forgot all about this!

I have "Ask to join new networks" and "Remember networks this computer has joined" turned on and have removed and re-added my hotspot to the Preferred Networks list. When I enable my hotspot it shows up in the AirPort menu almost immediately but still doesn't auto-connect. The only time it connects automatically is if the hotspot is already enabled when I wake the computer from sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.