Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grillyawd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
I realize iOS 6 is going to slow down the iPhone 3gs some, but my phone is really slow now booting up. It takes about 40 seconds to boot to the slide to unlock screen & the slider is unresponsive for another 15 seconds.

The genius said this is normal, is it really? I don't even think I'll be able to sell it on Ebay because the buyer will think it's defective.

What's strange is when I do a restore as new the slide to unlock is responsive right away, it's only when I install a few apps that the slider takes 15 seconds to respond. I've even tried different apps & it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried disabling Spotlight, location services & all the other normal tweaks with no noticeable changes.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I realize iOS 6 is going to slow down the iPhone 3gs some, but my phone is really slow now booting up. It takes about 40 seconds to boot to the slide to unlock screen & the slider is unresponsive for another 15 seconds.

The genius said this is normal, is it really? I don't even think I'll be able to sell it on Ebay because the buyer will think it's defective.

What's strange is when I do a restore as new the slide to unlock is responsive right away, it's only when I install a few apps that the slider takes 15 seconds to respond. I've even tried different apps & it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried disabling Spotlight, location services & all the other normal tweaks with no noticeable changes.
You do relize the 3GS is several years old with a single core 600MHz CPU and 256MB ram correct? it's not going to win anybody over on performance.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Both my 3GS takes around 30-35 secs to boot on iOS 6.1. Both working fine too, not too slow to the extent of hindering performance.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
My wife use a 3GS with ios 6.x and while not a speed demon, performance is more than acceptable.

700-Grizz

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
ALASKA
With the 50% increase in performance between each iphone---I say you are about 150% slower than the IP5, So Yes its crazy slow compared to the IP5

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Yup my moms 3GS does the same exact thing. I updated it to 6.0 and then 6.1. It takes forever to boot and then the slider is unresponsive for a while too.
I did a clean install and it didn't help.

Once it's all up and running, it's decent.

I think it's time to get my mom a new phone

grillyawd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Both my 3GS takes around 30-35 secs to boot on iOS 6.1. Both working fine too, not too slow to the extent of hindering performance.

Does it take 10-15 seconds for the slide to unlock to become responsive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.