Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Internet/TV Provider Channels (basically you add a Channel per your TV/Internet provider and then you can watch LIVE TV or OnDemand or link to DVR all through the AppleTV)

Showtime ?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Amazon VOD

Direct competitor to the iTunes store so highly unlikely it will ever end up on the Apple TV.

Aereo is iffy also.

Things like Food Network, BBCAmerica etc more likely

----------

BBC iPlayer
Sky Anytime

There may be contracts etc that are barring those, even for UK folks. Sucks since from what I recall, you don't really get a choice about paying for a tv license. It would be nice if you could get the content however you like.

iHobby

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Why only 3?

But for most flexibility...

Plex/PlexConnect (you can add a masive # of channels this way)

Amazon Player (their streaming, not purchase since it competes with iTunes)

Aereo (local channels)

Honestly, they should license or buy Plex. Then Add an app interface.

Make the search work to provide results across ALL your available services.

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
1. ESPN - it's probably the only thing i watch and leave on while i get ready in the morning

2. MSNBC - don't watch regularly but still need it from time to time

3. HBOgo - cuz it's badass

$6 bucks each a month or $216 a year for all my viewing needs i'm down do itttttttt

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Bingo!!

Apple should create its own app for the AppleTV called The Horror Network, which would be "all things horror films".

But 3 other Networks to add would be,

AWE TV ( formerly WealthTV )

The Food Network

IFC Network

:D :D :D :D

(Chanticleer)

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2014
The Apple TV has so much potential but it is clearly held up by the greedy content providers. NFL channel would be great along with History channel. You all have some great suggestions, we clearly want to define our won experience and not subject ourselves any further to Time Warner, Comcast etc. By the way I am a cord cutter!!

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
The Apple TV has so much potential but it is clearly held up by the greedy content providers.

Well, that's part of it. Another part (e.g., the NFL package) has to do with existing contractual obligations - using the NFL example, DirecTV paid a lot of money some years ago for exclusive rights through the 2014 season, which is why it isn't available anywhere else, ATV, FIOS, Comcast, you name it. But that contract expires at the end of the next football season, so we'll see what happens then.

The trend is in the cord-cutter's favor, but the market is still maturing. At some point, the ability of people to get most of what they want ala carte will drag the remaining providers into figuring out a way to accommodate that or else they will see any chance of profit walking away. In most cases, they control the data pipe connected to your house, so they'll still be in position to capitalize in some way on whatever you're doing.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Canadian Channel?

Any chance that CBC TV will be added to ATV?

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Looks like the Amazon Instant Video app now allows AirPlay.

The process of using AirPlay to stream from your iPad to AppleTV is less than optimal on a large format display. In fact it's downright nasty looking. :confused:

As for channels, only need two really.

Any UVVU streamer, but VUDU is preferred becaus of its audio capabilities and disc to digital option.
Amazon for its prime freebie rentals.

Even better, just give us a store and let us use AppleTV to turn our TVs into giant iPads.

Malherbo

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2018
Am new at this, and my AppleTV is really my gf's, because i gave her one for new year, my interest is:

Mubi
Mubi
VLC

(and very curious to what else might be good)

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Am new at this, and my AppleTV is really my gf's, because i gave her one for new year, my interest is:

Mubi
Mubi
VLC

(and very curious to what else might be good)

TOTALLY AGREE - MUBI is fantastic :) For me RedBull TV is incredible as I LIVE FOR extreme sport & WSL World Surf League :)
If you like MUBI, the French Film Festival supported by iTunes starts mid January online!!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.