Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:44 PM   #4676
mobilehaathi
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen97 View Post
I wish I had the time and knowledge but I don't. I currently buy my coffee from the local Central market (about 1lb / week) and make my coffee with a Technivorm Moccamaster which I love.
Well, sounds like you have a great setup! How do you find the Moccamaster?
You'll have, I'm sure, no reason to complain."
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:19 AM   #4677
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but what container do you guys use to store your coffee? I have been eyeing the Airscape, any thoughts?
I freeze, freezer safe bags inside ball jars (with two piece sealing lid). Breakdown batches and do this, been doing it for years, works great provided you have a nice fridge freezer or a fridge that works well in general, older ones don't seem to seal as well and have bad defrost cycles as a friends older fridge didn't work well for this but his new one works perfect. I can pull a jar out a month later and pull shots at same settings as when fresh. Tried Airscape and similar other ways and didn't really work well, maybe if you were going to be using your beans in a week. But I order 4-5lbs at a time.

Or if you have a deep freeze chest thats even better but ours is taken up by fresh caught fish
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:17 AM   #4678
zen97
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Well, sounds like you have a great setup! How do you find the Moccamaster?
Had mine for about 5yrs and have been very pleased, its a great drip coffee maker. Very simple, not fancy, just makes great coffee. The last few month it did develop an issue with the drip system and the coffee flow needs to be managed manually. I did buy a new brew basket but the issue is still not resolved. Not sure what is my next move but still happy with it and might buy a new replacement.
Macbook Pro 13" ;Time Capsule 3 TB; tv
zen97 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:36 AM   #4679
mobilehaathi
macrumors 603

Quote:
Had mine for about 5yrs and have been very pleased, its a great drip coffee maker. Very simple, not fancy, just makes great coffee. The last few month it did develop an issue with the drip system and the coffee flow needs to be managed manually. I did buy a new brew basket but the issue is still not resolved. Not sure what is my next move but still happy with it and might buy a new replacement.
Good to know! I typically go all manual for my pour over (only resorting to a machine for espresso), but I like to keep a list of excellent auto drips if I ever find myself in the market.
You'll have, I'm sure, no reason to complain."
mobilehaathi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:51 AM   #4680
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Good to know! I typically go all manual for my pour over (only resorting to a machine for espresso), but I like to keep a list of excellent auto drips if I ever find myself in the market.
One that I have my eye on - but as a future possible purchase, is the automatic just manufactured by the Chemex company (called 'Ottomatic'), their first ever venture into the automatic market.

This product has only been available for the past month, so little is known about how it actually works.

In any case, I am paying very close heed to the reviews; if a sufficient number of them, or a 'critical mass' of them are glowing, I may well succumb.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:50 PM   #4681
zen97
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
One that I have my eye on - but as a future possible purchase, is the automatic just manufactured by the Chemex company (called 'Ottomatic'), their first ever venture into the automatic market.

This product has only been available for the past month, so little is known about how it actually works.

In any case, I am paying very close heed to the reviews; if a sufficient number of them, or a 'critical mass' of them are glowing, I may well succumb.
Very interested in the new Ottomatic but it looks like it has a "heating element" to keep the coffee warm... which is a big no no in my book. I passed on purchasing the Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker because of that..
Macbook Pro 13" ;Time Capsule 3 TB; tv
zen97 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:54 PM   #4682
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Very interested in the new Ottomatic but it looks like it has a "heating element" to keep the coffee warm... which is a big no no in my book. I passed on purchasing the Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker because of that..
Yes, I am inclined to agree with you; not my ideal scenario either. In any case, I will wait and see, not least to see whether a number of reviews make it clear that this is a 'must have' item.

Mind you, I am seriously contemplating purchasing the 'ordinary' Chemex; the coffee that comes from that method is really excellent.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #4683
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
Washington Post article on coffee roasters in the metropolitan area:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingo....html?hpid=z13
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #4684
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

This evening (it being a cold, wet, stormy, evening with driving sleet showers), I fancied something warming and soothing.

So, after - or while - grinding a smaller than usual (for my normal morning cup, or pot) quantity of beans in my OE Lido 2 grinder, I put a small copper saucepan of milk (full fat, organic) on the stove to heat, and made a quite delicious café au lait, (or café latte), roughly one half water (strained through the ground beans) and one half heated milk.

Exactly the taste hit I had been hoping for - stimulating yet soothing - (and, yes, just a little labour intensive)….
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion