Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
*** All OK now *** Got hold of an online img, entered my serial and applied updates

Just got a Mini with no DVD.

I have Home & Student edition Office 2008 with 3 serials but can't install as no DVD drive.

I have no external drive and cannot use remote disk

Am I stuck?

Last edited:

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
If you can find a computer with dvd drive (work, friend, rental) and make a disk image file (.dmg, .iso) of the installation disk, it should install off of thumb drive. It worked for me to install Windows in Parallels.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If you can find a computer with dvd drive (work, friend, rental) and make a disk image file (.dmg, .iso) of the installation disk, it should install off of thumb drive. It worked for me to install Windows in Parallels.

No need to, you can just copy the installer on the disk.
See Screenshot.

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 2,332

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
If it's a new Mini you need to check to see if you can install it at all. The Office '08 installer needs Rosetta to run.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Mmmh... Rosetta? It seemed to work fine on my old 2010 ML Mac Pro? - I have a DVD X14-93209-02

----------

Its getting used to these new ways of working - no DVDs - Cloud etc - rights

Previously I had a stack of CDs/DVDs and backups for apps, OS and drivers

Now I pretty much download on demand when needed and keep no CDs

I guess if I upgraded to 2011 I'd be ok?

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006

Thanks I guess I may have to do that. I'm old enough to remember floppy disks too and the time when they started being phased out.

My preference is to go with the new downloads and cloud services. I can see the advantage of having no physical media.

For example I reinstalled OSX today with no media. I want to try not to go backwards. Maybe I'll just upgrade to 2011.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If it's a new Mini you need to check to see if you can install it at all. The Office '08 installer needs Rosetta to run.

Interestingly, it only needs Rosetta under 10.6 and earlier. 10.7 and newer manage to run the installer without Rosetta.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Managed to get hold of an image and it accepted one of my serials. Now just applying updates - messy.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
You can easily download an office installer though a torrent. Till the time you use your own serial key, I doubt this would be illegal. Alternatively, do what others suggested or just go to an Apple store as they have the USB super drives or go to MSFT and ask for installer.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help but I want to try to prevent going backwards with drives as things seem to be moving to online delivery and storage - although USB sticks are still needed.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I haven't seen an office install disk. So you're saying just copy the installer file, which is a disk image, onto a thumb drive?

The office 2008 installer which you see in the Screenshot I attached is not a disk image, you can clearly see that in the Info, so yes you can copy that to whatever media.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help but I want to try to prevent going backwards with drives as things seem to be moving to online delivery and storage - although USB sticks are still needed.

Yeah, ya see how that worked for ya :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.