Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Hi Guys,

I've had my iPhone 5 for around a week now and have just noticed an issue with the autofocus on the camera when taking pictures further than about 4 feet away. They go blurry and the autofocus doesn't help. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Literally 4 feet?

I've noticed any closer than maybe 10 inches my phone will become blurry. Try doing a restore (after backing up your phone!) and seeing if the camera focuses well while stock.

If no, then a trip to the Apple Store is at hand.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Well anything longer than arms reach actually, if I point te camera at my hand, really close up then it focuses fine and looks okay but anything at a slight distance just looks blurry and awful! I just estimated 4 feet :p. Will try and restore then but can't really see that solving the problem..had this issue before with my iPhone 4 but was the other way around, items close up looked blurry..ended up getting it replaced..

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah that's definitely not on and restoring the phone doesn't fix it :(

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Well anything longer than arms reach actually, if I point te camera at my hand, really close up then it focuses fine and looks okay but anything at a slight distance just looks blurry and awful! I just estimated 4 feet :p. Will try and restore then but can't really see that solving the problem..had this issue before with my iPhone 4 but was the other way around, items close up looked blurry..ended up getting it replaced..

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying but.......

If you focus close-up on, say, your hand. The camera will go into macro focus mode and everything in the background will be out of focus. This is because in macro mode the depth of field is very shallow. Your example with the iPhone 4 could be that the camera focused on a distant object and consequently close-up objects would then be out of focus.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I may be misinterpreting what you're saying but.......

If you focus close-up on, say, your hand. The camera will go into macro focus mode and everything in the background will be out of focus. This is because in macro mode the depth of field is very shallow. Your example with the iPhone 4 could be that the camera focused on a distant object and consequently close-up objects would then be out of focus.

I think I explained it badly..basically pictures close up look absolutely fine, the autofocus does it's job and everything looks crisp..but when I point the camera or take pictures at anything that's more than 2-4 feet away, everything is blurry and the autofocus doesn't make anythint clearer and the photos look awful

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Just got a genius bar appointment anyway for later on today so hopefully they should be able to swap it for me or something because it's clearly a hardware issue

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Just to let anyone know who might have similar problems..I took it to the apple store and they just replaced it on the spot..must have been a hardware issue as my new one is fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.