Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kutuzov

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I just downloaded the latest version of Windows XP, the 64-bit one. And installed it in Parallels on my late 2012 iMac. Age of Empires II runs like a charm.

However, when I try to connect to somebody running the same version of AOE it won't show that user's game. I know the fault is with me because others have been able to connect.

I disabled the firewall in Windows XP and the iMac is connected directly to the Internet so there are no hardware intermediaries that can mess things up.

But of course the big elephant here is OS X and Parallels, could it mess something up? Anyone has any ideas what I could do to solve this?

Kutuzov

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I posted a little too quick. But now that I posted it, I'd like to leave the solution for others who may search for it.

The solution is the same which is described here: http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-82668.html

I use Parallels 8 and that topic is about Parallels 3, but it works just the same. You need to right click on the Parallels Desktop icon in the dock with your virtual machine running, go to devices and then network. Choose "Ethernet" instead of the default Internet adapter.

I restarted my machine after doing that but it could very well work without a restart. After the restart, Age of Empires II worked immediately.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It was very good of you to return and share the solution. Thanks.

That info may also come in handy for some other game down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.