Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mendozart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
I've owned ipods and itouches, but never an ipad. I've always wanted one, and I'm finally going to dive in. I've been trying to read as much comparison info as possible, plus have watched a ton of youtube comparisons. I'm not going to buy new, trying to save a bit. I have two Craigslist deals on the table, and need to make a decision tomorrow. I have deals worked for an Ipad 2 64gb and Ipad mini 32gb, both wifi, and both the same price. Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

Greg

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
U have owned the touches so why not go for something little bulkier. Go for Ipad 2 because i think it could take a lot more beating compare to the mini. Especially when u are not buying brand new.

Though, i assumed the mini would still be under warrenty for certain period of time right?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I've owned ipods and itouches, but never an ipad. I've always wanted one, and I'm finally going to dive in. I've been trying to read as much comparison info as possible, plus have watched a ton of youtube comparisons. I'm not going to buy new, trying to save a bit. I have two Craigslist deals on the table, and need to make a decision tomorrow. I have deals worked for an Ipad 2 64gb and Ipad mini 32gb, both wifi, and both the same price. Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

Greg

Additionally, think of the expected support lifecycle for each from Apple. The iPad 2 is serially 2 generations behind the current model and has the old 30 pin connector. I would expect it to get dropped whenever the next iPad refresh shows up.

The iPad Mini was launched with the lightning connector and while first generation products do have a diminished life expectancy; I would expect the Mini to get supported for another generation.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Will you continue to use your other iDevices? If so, you might consider that the mini would have a different connector, and what that might mean to you. I deal with both (iPad mini and iPhone 4s), though, and it's not too much trouble.

I really like the size/form factor of my mini, and I'm not sure what "bigger" gets you in this case, since the resolution is the same for each. Regarding the memory: if you think 32GB would be enough, then 64GB doesn't really add much value to you.

As someone else pointed out, the mini is newer, and so would probably make it through a few more iOS updates. And being newer, I think it would hold its resale value better.

Regards,
Tom

Mendozart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Good info so far. I'm the type of person that holds onto my devices forever. I'm an electrical technicinan, and have taken apart Ipod original minis, 5th gen videos, and iTouches, replacing batteries, harddrives, and broken screens. Right now I'm leaning towards the iPad 2, it being the same 30-pin connector as my other devices. Keep the info coming though.

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
I wouldn't worry about the 30 pin adaptor being phased out anytime soon, considering the majority of iOS users are still using 30 pin devices. I'd get the iPad that suits your needs. Me personally I'd get the iPad 2. :D

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
As someone else pointed out, the mini is newer, and so would probably make it through a few more iOS updates. And being newer, I think it would hold its resale value better.

Regards,
Tom

Do you think this is really true, given that the mini has only 512mb of RAM? I would think that as iOS gets more and more advanced, more RAM will be needed to handle basic tasks.

Sophia.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
United Kingdom
Size matters or does it? If you want a larger screen buy the iPad 2 if your ok with a smaller screen buy the mini. I personally would buy the iPad 2 if I was in your shoes because I prefer the larger screen and make good use of the extra browsing room you get with a larger screen.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
iPad mini as it is more future proof and as an iPad 3 user I actually find the iPad mini much more comfortable to use.

Also, the iPad mini has a 5 MP camera and an HD front facing camera.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Get the ipad 3
Super-duper screen
just as fast as the ipad 4 on most tasks.
great deals right now with full 1 year warranty

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Its more of a feeling, but i would say go for the iPad 2. I owned one and it was a very good device. Nice screen. Superb Battery life. Resolution wise - you won't win or lose with either iPad. Processor wise - they have the same specs (if you don't look at the node size). Resale Value will drop less for your iPad 2 if you ever consider to sell it.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Do you think this is really true, given that the mini has only 512mb of RAM? I would think that as iOS gets more and more advanced, more RAM will be needed to handle basic tasks.

But the iPad 2 has 512MB also, so this is a wash. They also both have essentially the same SOC (A5) and GPU, but the mini has the newer audio chip as found in the iPhone5 and iPad4 (which allows it offer Siri), so a slight "win" for mini here. May or may not make a difference to the OP, and unknown whether it really makes a difference in OS upgrade-ability.

Regards,
Tom

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The Mini over the ipad 2 easily. The real problem is comparing the ipad 3 vs the Mini. They just dropped all the refurbed ipad 3's by another 50 dollars in the Apple store. 459 for a 16gb ipad 3 with LTE isn't bad.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
The Mini over the ipad 2 easily. The real problem is comparing the ipad 3 vs the Mini. They just dropped all the refurbed ipad 3's by another 50 dollars in the Apple store. 459 for a 16gb ipad 3 with LTE isn't bad.

damn you're right

i got an iPad 3 64GB-LTE for $679 last year. i see it's now $629.

i wonder if that's indicative of a new iPad soon?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
As always without specifying what you will use it for, it is harder to give a recommendation for one over the other.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town

I definitely agree.

Mendozart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
As always without specifying what you will use it for, it is harder to give a recommendation for one over the other.

I will mainly be using it for web-browsing, e-mail, movies (netflix) & music. I realize the ipad 3 has the retina, which is cool, but the ipad2's picture looks fine to me. I'm also only spending $350.

Mendozart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
So, I picked up the ipad2 and its awesome! I ended up wanting the bigger screen and the 64gb. I cleaned and inspected it, and there is not one scratch on this thing. It doesn't't even look like it was used at all. :apple:
BTW, thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
So, I picked up the ipad2 and its awesome! I ended up wanting the bigger screen and the 64gb. I cleaned and inspected it, and there is not one scratch on this thing. It doesn't't even look like it was used at all. :apple:

I'm glad you got what you wanted, enjoy it! :)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Nice. I just got the 2 over the mini as well. I think it has superior build quality by what I've been reading about the mini's glass. The larger screen is nice. Downfall, if any: as others have mentioned - it may not go much further as far as iOS updates. I don't care about Siri, I don't talk to my devices, nor do I want to.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

After reading what you would be using it for, the 2nd gen is what I would have recommended. Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.