Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jun 4, 2013, 04:42 AM   #1
2ms
macrumors 6502

basic iMovie question

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to know if there is a way to trim clips within events (as opposed to after they are brought into projects).

I import to video from my camera, but about 90% of it is unusable and I would prefer to cut away the garbage early in the process. In HD they stuff takes a huge amount of hd space.

Anyone know how to trim down clips (filmstrips?) within the Event Bibrary rather than within a Project?

Last edited by 2ms; Jun 4, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
2ms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 04:47 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Then this might be of interest, try it out.

Just tried it with an imported 1080p clip, it seems one has to use "Reject Selection" as splitting is not an option.

It does work though, a bit cumbersome, but you can get it done via selecting the areas you don't want, reject them, then go to see the REJECTED CLIPS and MOVE THEM TO THE TRASH and iMovie will generate new files for you and discard the rest.

Last edited by simsaladimbamba; Jun 4, 2013 at 04:52 AM.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Ifti
macrumors 65816

Can you open the raw footage in QuickTime - before its even imported into imovie?
If so, open with QuickTime and trim the clip down to the section you want. Save that section (no quality etc is lost at all) and then import that into imovie.

I have a video tutorial in my youtube channel showing you how to do this. Give me a shout if you can't find it, but it should be in the tutorials playlist I think
TC / iPhone5 / Drobo 5D
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
vjaaan
macrumors regular

I just tried the suggestion about trimming the video in Quicktime. That worked fine (on trimming the front and back ). I found no Save option but I used Export and that seemed to work.

However, I cannot find the directory where it was put. It showed the folder name, but not the path. How can I find the full path to a file when I have no option to right click and choose Info?

Also, is there a way to split some of those videos for better trimming in Quicktime?

Thanks.
vjaaan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Ifti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjaaan View Post
I just tried the suggestion about trimming the video in Quicktime. That worked fine (on trimming the front and back ). I found no Save option but I used Export and that seemed to work.

However, I cannot find the directory where it was put. It showed the folder name, but not the path. How can I find the full path to a file when I have no option to right click and choose Info?

Also, is there a way to split some of those videos for better trimming in Quicktime?

Thanks.
Yes you need to use the export menu in QuickTime to save the trimmed video, as you'll want to keep the original as your master.
When you export you should be given the option to save where you like. Select the desktop, for example, so you know exactly where it is without needing a full path - makes it nice and easy to see the trimmed clip and import into imovie.
I'd link to my video on youtube which shows exactly how to do this but do not wish to be flagged for self promotion etc!
TC / iPhone5 / Drobo 5D
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video