Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. From time to time, my iPhone 5 will completely drop the signal, go back up to full signal on LTE and drop again, and on and on. Sometimes this happens for several minutes, other times it will just do it a couple times before it works itself out. Basically, when it drops, the signal indicator looks like it does once you've deactivated Airplane mode.

I live in Chicago and I noticed this first when I was at work, and thought that maybe AT&T was doing some work on the cellular towers, but I have since noticed it happening in all parts of the city that I visit.

I've done the usual things like removing the SIM and putting it back in, turning on/off Airplane mode, restarting and even restoring (down to a DFU level restore). This had no affect.

It hadn't done this for quite some time (at least I hadn't noticed it happening) but did this morning on my way to work. Which still leads me to consider it could be on AT&T's end.

Any suggestions? Is it time for a trip to the Apple Store to get a swap out?

All software is up to date.

midnight555

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I have had the same issue a couple of times. I live in Chicago too. When my phone gets in this state I power cycle the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.