Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
JediSkipdogg
macrumors member

Messages - Buddy List?

I hate the new messages unless I am missing something. Is there a way to show all my online friends in one place?

Right now the only way I've been able to find online friends is to Compose a New Message and then click the + to send it to and then click on Buddies. I'd like to just be able to quickly see if someone is on without doing all that. Is there a way?
JediSkipdogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:44 PM   #2
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502

Yes. The buddy list is still there. Use option + 1. Its one more thing they fixed that wasn't broken and its one more apple app I'm no longer going to use. I've switched to Adium.
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
JediSkipdogg
macrumors member

Ok, thanks. I went through all the menus and missed that one.
JediSkipdogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4
tylerjamison
macrumors member

What do you mean by option + 1?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjamison View Post
What do you mean by option + 1?
He meant command key+1 which will bring the buddy window forward.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:14 PM   #6
MobiusStrip
macrumors member

The buddy list often doesn't exist.

The buddy list menu item (which, as usual, Apple has inexplicably put in the Window menu instead of the View menu where it belongs) won't even exist if the AIM service is turned off (which it is by default).

Another basic UI concept that Apple "forgot" is that when something is inapplicable, you grey it out. You don't just make it disappear entirely, because people will never learn where it is.

The Messages UI is a disgrace. Not as bad as Address Book or the calendar, but it's incompetent all the same.
MobiusStrip is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion