Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ubertome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum here, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating an old problem but I've spent many hours scouring the web about my problem with no success.

My problem: I want to install a Retail Mac OS X 10.6.3 SL onto a new SSD on my Macbook2,1 (2006) but I just can't get it to install.

I've tried installing from the DVD drive but at around 28 minutes it fails. Since it's old, I figure the DVD drive is faulty; after ripping an image of the disk on another mac with no problems, I can say I'm pretty sure of it.

That being the case, I've also tried installing via USB Flash Drive but I can't for the life of me get it to boot from USB! For that I used both Carbon Copy Cloner and Disk Utility to restore the install disk as a backup. I set it to boot from USB under Startup Disk, and I even blessed it:
Code:
bless -folder /Volume/MyVolume/System/Library/CoreServices -setBoot
but it still refuses to boot.

PRAM has also been reset several times but it didn't seem to help.

My Macbook Specs:
1.83Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2.25GB RAM
8x Combo Drive
60GB 5400RPM SATA ===> OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD

I just don't know what's wrong :confused: I really appreciate any help and I hope others with the same issue share what worked/didn't work.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jaben3421

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2011
CA
Did you make sure your MacBook can support that type of SATA? I think the new agilites are SATA 3, but your MacBook has SATA 1 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know. Might be wrong. I can't remember if the hard drives have backwards compatibility. My guess, however, is that your MacBook can't support it.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
The ssd is not an issue it very well might be your drive but instead of trying to boot from usb , plug the USB into the macbook and go into finder within the USB drive and find the DMG for SL and click on it. It should allow you to install from there if not I apologize for being wrong.

ubertome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Have SL on a usb and boot it from there? What does it do when you tried?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I put Snow Leopard onto USB and tried to boot it with that, but it's completely ignored at startup.

Did you make sure your MacBook can support that type of SATA? I think the new agilites are SATA 3, but your MacBook has SATA 1 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know. Might be wrong. I can't remember if the hard drives have backwards compatibility. My guess, however, is that your MacBook can't support it.

From what I've read online, SATA should be backwards-compatible... it'll just be bottlenecked

The ssd is not an issue it very well might be your drive but instead of trying to boot from usb , plug the USB into the macbook and go into finder within the USB drive and find the DMG for SL and click on it. It should allow you to install from there if not I apologize for being wrong.

I figure it wouldn't hurt to mention all the facts, just in case. Do you mean the Snow Leopard icon on the installer itself? I tried clicking it to restart my mac with the installer, but that wouldn't work either :(

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If you have a 2nd Mac with a known good optical drive, put the SL DVD into it and reboot this computer in target disk mode(press and hold "T" before it chimes).

Use a firewire cable to connect your MacBook to the other computer and boot the MacBook while holding down the option key.

I've done this in the past and the disk in the other computer shows up on the connected computer as if it were connected to an external optical drive. It may not still work this way, but it's worth a shot.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
You didn't say if the USB you were referring to was a hard drive or a flash drive, I don't know about if this applies to flash drives or not but some external hard drives (both Firewire and USB) are not bootable.

When trying to install from the DVD did you try running Disk Utility on the SSD to see if it checks out as okay?

When trying to install from the DVD did you try formatting the SSD (Mac OS Extended Journaled w/GUID Partition Table) with Disk Utility before installing the OS?

Lastly, it's always possible that the OS X 10.6.3 disc is defective.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the prompt reply. I put Snow Leopard onto USB and tried to boot it with that, but it's completely ignored at startup.
Make sure that your USB drive is partitioned as GUID and formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, then restore the DVD to it.

ubertome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I'm using a Kingston USB Thumbdrive and yes, I have formatted it with GUID partition table and Mac OS Extended Journaled. As far as I can tell, the SSD and disc are in good working order as well.

I haven't tried booting with another mac, but I'll give that a shot.

@DewGuy1999 That's definitely possible, apparently it's happened before too: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/993178/

Anyway I'll try both methods and post my results here soon.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
How are you selecting the USB drive when you want to start off of it?

Are you holding the 'option' key at startup?

ubertome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Yes, I tried starting up holding the ALT/Option key but the usb drive never shows up there. Holding 'C' doesn't work either.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Yes, I tried starting up holding the ALT/Option key but the usb drive never shows up there. Holding 'C' doesn't work either.

Like I said earlier the drive may not be bootable by a Mac, maybe you could try installing from the DVD again?

ubertome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Great success!!

I got it to work!

So I went out and bought an HDD docking station and formatted an old SATA1 drive lying around with GUID partition table, OS X extended journaled, etc. and lo and behold, it finally boots from USB.

Everything else was smooth sailing :D

I'm convinced that USB booting on this macbook needs to be from some powered USB device like an external drive, which is weird because the USB ports read about about 5V the moment I boot, according to my multimeter.

Anyway thank you guys for your help, hopefully this thread saves someone else a lot of frustration.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm convinced that USB booting on this macbook needs to be from some powered USB device like an external drive.

That shouldn't be the case, unless something is broken on the computer. I have seen some USB thumb drives which are more than a little erratic, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.