Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Mach2001
macrumors newbie

External hdd from pc to mac

Not sure if this is on the right place but I have all my iTunes music stored on my external hdd, I have a 1TB fusion drive iMac coming and I was wondering if I could just keep it plugged in and keep my music on there rather than clutter up my hdd and that it would work coming from using windows?
Thanks for any replies
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:34 AM   #2
stridemat

Yes you can. It take a bit more setting up but once it has been then it works just the same as storing the media files on the internal HDD.

If you would like some guidance as to how to do this, then post in this thread.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:36 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2001 View Post
Not sure if this is on the right place but I have all my iTunes music stored on my external hdd, I have a 1TB fusion drive iMac coming and I was wondering if I could just keep it plugged in and keep my music on there rather than clutter up my hdd and that it would work coming from using windows?
Thanks for any replies
I guess it's partitioned as NTFS, if it is it's Read only on a Mac so it will not work.
But, there is software to make it R/W, Paragon is one and tuxera is another one.
It is also possible to enable it with a "hack" on the mac without any software but it's not 100% stable.

You could also use exFat but this also has drawbacks.

Another way is to backup the drive and erase the disk as HFS+ journaled which is native for a mac.
It won't be readable by a Windows mac, but there's also software to install on the windows machine to enable this, this software is called Macdrive.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help