Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:33 PM   #26
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Finally, someone is crediting the Chinese .
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:54 AM   #27
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
How about you stop acting like having a smart phone is a right rather than a privilege

----------

Who says they don't. Just because they can't spend $1000 at the drop of a hat doesn't equal them being immorally underpaid etc
They have to take into account the local economy when determining the pricing of a product, while still allowing it to maintain value. Pricing can only be different by a couple dollars at most when pricing an item from country to country, to prevent "I am going to go to China to buy an iPhone for $100"
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:58 AM   #28
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonick007 View Post
Next time you hear somebody say China is 3rd world and full of poor people, slap them with an 800 iphone and show them how much of the U.S. China actually owns. (let alone Dubai) Soon we're going to be eating rice and making faux products to keep up with the world economy.
Just because the government is rich and there is a growing upper class doesn't mean that people there are not dirt poor.

When up visit china it is apparent that there is a huge disparity in demographics.
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:27 AM   #29
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Cost of living in China is still lower than in Europe of the United States. The iPhone is an import and will remain expensive... just like how European imports are expensive in North America or vice versa.

The cost of living is low in many places around the world. However, the wages are also much lower in many places around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
How about you stop acting like having a smart phone is a right rather than a privilege

When did I say it was a right to own a luxury item such as an iPhone?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:10 AM   #30
NoMoreSony
macrumors member

Just two simple facts -

"A promotion that lasts through January 23 makes payment plans lasting a year or less interest free."

"Apple will announce its earnings for the first fiscal quarter (fourth calendar quarter) of 2013 on Wednesday, January 23.

Interest free payment plans in one of the biggest Apple markets lasts only through the day when earnings will be announced... Hmm... Looks someone has very big problems with the sales and the figures needs to be improved right now.
NoMoreSony is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:58 AM   #31
superman23
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
Junior level workers make 1500 yuan (248 dollars) ( 186 EUR ) a month WITH mandatory over-time. Average rent in Shanghai/Beijing is 2000-3000 yuan per month for a small apartment not to mention cost of basic living essentials like hygiene products and food.
Average rent in Manhattan is $3,000/month for a studio.

junior level workers in the U.S. can't afford that either...
superman23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:28 PM   #32
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
In the Foxconn factories where Apple's mobile devices are assembled, junior level workers make approximately 1,800 yuan per month, which means the iPad and the iPhone are nearly unattainable without an installment option
Um, the only difference between saving the right amount until you have the total to purchase, and buying on credit is that the credit costs more. So "unattainable" applies to both.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:35 PM   #33
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
I wish I could buy things on credit with only 6.5% interest. Apple's stupid Barclay credit card is anywhere from 14-29%.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:19 PM   #34
ryuok
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post

China has a middle class of ~300,000,000 people ... and probably a couple million super rich. The size of the luxury market is growing like crazy in China, so Apple is just trying to get a piece of it.
Your number is meaningless. How do you define middle class? I think mostly China's self-defined "middle class" is in fact poorer than the working class of the US. A person who makes US$500 a month would be considered middle-class in China, i.e. poor people by western standard.

In Hong Kong, a person has to own a property valued at US$1 million and an income of US $5000 to be an entry-level middle class. A typical middle-class person in Hong Kong owns a US$3 million property, a luxury car valued at US$200,000 (incl. 115% tax) and a monthly income of US$20,000.
ryuok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:41 PM   #35
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuok View Post
A typical middle-class person in Hong Kong owns a US$3 million property, a luxury car valued at US$200,000 (incl. 115% tax) and a monthly income of US$20,000.
Are you serious? I don't know where you got your numbers from, but the middle class in Hong Kong only makes 10,000HKD - 25,000HKD a month (household).

Only 3% of Hong Kong's household makes more than 100,000HKD... or 12500.00USD a month...

http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/f...population.pdf
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:20 PM   #36
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSony View Post
Just two simple facts -

"A promotion that lasts through January 23 makes payment plans lasting a year or less interest free."

"Apple will announce its earnings for the first fiscal quarter (fourth calendar quarter) of 2013 on Wednesday, January 23.

Interest free payment plans in one of the biggest Apple markets lasts only through the day when earnings will be announced... Hmm... Looks someone has very big problems with the sales and the figures needs to be improved right now.

No need for the conspiracy theory as the quarter being reported on the 23rd is between October 1 through December 31. Sales from January 1 through January 23 will count in the quarter of January 1 through March 31.

I suggest you get your simple facts right next time.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:42 PM   #37
Apple2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village master View Post
请问你收入多少?What is your income?(我是一位来自中国的毕业大学生I am a graduate students from China)
I make about $100,000 a year. The US middle class is from about 55-125 thousand yearly.
Apple2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:36 AM   #38
NoMoreSony
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
No need for the conspiracy theory as the quarter being reported on the 23rd is between October 1 through December 31. Sales from January 1 through January 23 will count in the quarter of January 1 through March 31.

I suggest you get your simple facts right next time.
Almost every time during earning calls Apple also gives some information about current business (especially, if the things in the last quarter looks bad).

Some remarks about great success on one of the biggest markets (based in reality on interest free loans) could help keep Apple shares from crash.

No conspiracy, just pure and simple facts. Keep too much Apple shares? My deepest condolences.
NoMoreSony is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:40 AM   #39
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Looks like China is starting down the path of living above your means and becoming a credit based society.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:28 AM   #40
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amacfa View Post
Just what china needs: credit.
Yes. It's about time that the Chinese learn the American Way of .... fiscal irresponsibility and debt enslavement.

With their population of 8 trillion people, China's national debt should surpass the USA by 2018.

Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:53 PM   #41
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman23 View Post
Average rent in Manhattan is $3,000/month for a studio.

junior level workers in the U.S. can't afford that either...
I'm sorry. You're right. I won't care about impoverished Chinese people anymore.
MrDc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:48 PM   #42
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSony View Post
Almost every time during earning calls Apple also gives some information about current business (especially, if the things in the last quarter looks bad).

Some remarks about great success on one of the biggest markets (based in reality on interest free loans) could help keep Apple shares from crash.

No conspiracy, just pure and simple facts. Keep too much Apple shares? My deepest condolences.

I really want to vomit from your latest reply.

First of all, EVERY public company that reports financials issues a guidance for the next quarter including Apple.

Secondly, I highly doubt that offering the Chinese market a payment plan in the first 23 days of the quarter will impact the quarter in a significant way.

Lastly, claiming that Apple reporting financials and this promotion going hand-in-hand is rather conspiratorial and not "just pure and simple facts", as you state.

I suggest that you stop looking for patterns in the tea leaves and take off the tin foil hat from time to time.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion