Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I noticed on my iPad mini that the volume, lock and power buttons are a bit wobbly. They work perfectly fine but it is an annoyance. Is this a defect? Should I have it exchanged?

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
My power and lock, but not volume, buttons are wobbly.

I anticipate returning no less than a dozen Minis until I find one that is wobble-free.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I just checked mine because I had not noticed it. I wouldn't say mine wobble... I had to intentionally try to move the button, and there was very little give and was hard to tell it was even moving.

I guess it's a good thing this unit is issue free, but i'm not keeping it since I am exchanging it for LTE once Best Buy gets them in. I'll check my LTE mini once I get it.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I just checked mine because I had not noticed it. I wouldn't say mine wobble... I had to intentionally try to move the button, and there was very little give and was hard to tell it was even moving.

Exactly this.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
That's funny. The buttons were perhaps the only thing that impressed me about the mini. They felt better than the ones on the regular ipad to me.

thelezzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Same with the repalcement unit I got. What really concerns be is whether it is going to last.

My old unit did that before the volume up button completely failed

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
The mini has so many problems right now. Did they manufacturer them at dollarama? Seriously apple

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
I recently bought a mini and it had loose volume and power buttons so it went back, second unit has no play in the buttons at all and they are firmer to press and have a satisfying click to there movement.

The buttons should not be loose or wonky and should be at the same height as each other. My first unit had volume buttons that were at different heights from the body and if you shook the mini they rattled.

This is a QC issue.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
First iPad air I got had a perfect power button. Two that I just got now, including an iPad mini retina I played with all have loose power buttons. So loose it feels cheap.

All the iPads in my local apple store had loose power buttons.

All my volume buttons have been solid however.

Two home buttons started getting loose after two weeks of use.

Apples quality control is abhorrent these days. See the screen defect thread and fine my last post. Crazy that they are the exact same product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.