Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Lately several websites have started displaying annoying banners that require I click an 'X' to close them - only to reappear on the next screen refresh. It's enough to make me hate my iPad (which I have been loving!).

Settings:turn off popups does no good. Turn off Java works, but it limits the functionality of the websites too much.

--> Is there anything I can do with Safari? Or is there a different iPad browser that can stop these banners?

iPad4/IOS 6.1

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Theverge.com has been doing this, but the X is so small that many times I end up click the ad link.

But as mobile and tablet computing becomes more and more popular, advertising on these devices will happen more frequently (any way possible)

walkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Theverge.com has been doing this,

"INC.com" was driving me crazy doing it every minute. So I left the site vowing to never visit them again. I went to TheVerge and they were doing it too!! I love the TheVerge so I really don't want to give up their website. I want a browser that can control ads!

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Would you mind explaining how-to?

You can do it on a machine running dns too, if you happen to have a server..or on individual laptops.

Router. Find a used wrt54gl or similar and install tomato or dd-wrt

Then look up how to implement the ad blocking. It's not very difficult.

Yah it doesn't do anything on cellular, so if I was surfing that much on cellular I'd use icab or atomic.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
Hate the website not the iPad. Complain to the website that the ads are intrusive and making it difficult to use and that you will not be visiting their site anymore. :D

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Atomic web browser or icab mobile. Both with ad blockers built in. Both better then safari.

Problem solved.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Atomic web browser or icab mobile. Both with ad blockers built in. Both better then safari.

Problem solved.

The problem that I have with Atomic is I just do not like the look of it, especially the iPad. The tabs look horrible on the iPad version. If you open up say two tabs there's a ton of wasted space.

Also I've tried to alert them to this bug but I don't think they never respond to emails. If you do a search and include the character "&" everything after it gets cut off so if I search for "AT&T iPhone 5" in the search bar it will search for "AT"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.