Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I had all the iphones... Still have the 4s and 5, also have a Galaxy Nexus, and the latest Nexus 4... I just can't seem to put the Nexus 4 down... I really love both platform. When i get bored of ios i use android vice versa. But i won't lie lately ios as been more than boring, i hope ios 7 will fix things.

Hmmm, an OS is suppose to be boring.

If it was all up in my face with blinking icons and twirling tiles, that would be annoying.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Hmmm, an OS is suppose to be boring.

If it was all up in my face with blinking icons and twirling tiles, that would be annoying.

No i don't need bells and whistle flashing in my face... Just want to see more integration between the apps and os... The android os is well integrated with apps... Here's a example... I don't need to go in each app to share my picture, which is annoying to me... Or go thru 3 different steps just to close wifi or bluetooth is just ridiculous... A simple widget like this one in the picture would be so much simple... Ios needs little things like that.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357930276331.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357930276331.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 84
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357930291688.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357930291688.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 85

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
No i don't need bells and whistle flashing in my face... Just want to see more integration between the apps and os... The android os is well integrated with apps... Here's a example... I don't need to go in each app to share my picture, which is annoying to me... Or go thru 3 different steps just to close wifi or bluetooth is just ridiculous... A simple widget like this one in the picture would be so much simple... Ios needs little things like that.

let me ask you smth, why would you want to turn of wifi and bluetooth?

its so frequently mentioned here, the 'settings' widget

i've never used android more than a few days, so i dont know, maybe there is a reason? poor battery life?

if you ask me, a device in which you have to change the settings more than a few times (even once) in its life span is poorly designed, dont you think?
aside from connecting to new wifi networks and new bluetooth devices, which you do only once

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Seriously? THAT's your argument? Why someone would turn off wifi or bluetooth? Hysterical.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
let me ask you smth, why would you want to turn of wifi and bluetooth?

its so frequently mentioned here, the 'settings' widget

i've never used android more than a few days, so i dont know, maybe there is a reason? poor battery life?

if you ask me, a device in which you have to change the settings more than a few times (even once) in its life span is poorly designed, dont you think?
aside from connecting to new wifi networks and new bluetooth devices, which you do only once

Bro im not here to debate which setting people uses the most, or if android uses more battery than ios , simply asking a more simple way to access them that's all!

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Bro im not here to debate which setting people uses the most, or if android uses more battery than ios , simply asking a more simple way to access them that's all!

haha it's funny, everyone is arguing and fighting

the sole purpose of forums is to learn and share information

so let us fulfill this purpose by you telling me why would you want to do that?

i honestly wanna know, is there a reason why you dont want those settings on all the time? maybe security/privacy reasons? that doesnt seem too far fetched

its the most often 'want' on this forum, i wanna know why

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
haha it's funny, everyone is arguing and fighting

the sole purpose of forums is to learn and share information

so let us fulfill this purpose by you telling me why would you want to do that?

i honestly wanna know, is there a reason why you dont want those settings on all the time? maybe security/privacy reasons? that doesnt seem too far fetched

its the most often 'want' on this forum, i wanna know why

Say you're walking downtown or walking nearby a Starbucks, and your phone automatically remembers the free WiFi. You don't want to delete it because you actually use it when you're actually at Starbucks, but your phone still picks up the weak, unreliable signal, rendering you unable to browse the web.

Or if you are on campus with blanketed WiFi. However, certain spots on campus are very spotty or extremely congested. Your phone still connects to the WiFi but you would obviously have a better experience on your carrier data connection. The WiFi is pretty good, but not always, so you don't want to delete the network.

These are two examples I could think off the top of my head

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
What was difficult it time consuming to set up?

I have yet to find one feature like that

S Voice
AllShare
Shareshot
S Beam only works with Samsung phones

Plastic body, was cheap feeling.

I don't mean to bitch too much about it, it's a solid phone, and I liked it, but find that the combo of an iP5 and a cell enabled Mini meet my needs a little better. I also wanted to try all Apple stuff as my daily drivers, I pack a Mini, and iPod gen 5, and an iP5 to work every day. My boss is a loon and has banned tablets and phones at work (probably a good thing, am a nurse and work in an OR type setting, and I use the iPod Touch to stream Pandora during cases)

Last edited:

Subsistence

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
United Kingdom, Bournemouth
I switched due to the Samsung Galaxy S3 feeling like an unfinished, tacky product with a poorly written OS that caused nightmares with my fingertips.

Back to iOS and feeling the slick OS again gives me shivers. I'm back.

metalfab

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
2+ years with Android and 3 days with my first Apple product, ever; an iPhone 5.

My smartphone history started with an HTC Desire which came with Android 2.2. I rooted and installed 2.3 about 1 month later. Then I upgraded to a Nexus S, no reason for me to root as Nexus devices are upgraded similarly to iPhones. Samsung S2X was next which I gave to my wife for her first smartphone. I was on a tight budget so the HTC One V was purchased. My contract was near the mid-point and the Samsung Note II was on my radar. Bigger is better, right? After 1 week I returned it for the iPhone 5. I've bored you with my history but there is a point ;)

All phones had a few things in common which I tried to remedy by switching frequently.

1. Signal strength and call delay or quality. The One V had the worst signal strength of the bunch and the Desire had a delay after answering a call.

2. All have notification delays of some sort in various apps except the S2X.

3. The whole interface, regardless of launcher (HTC Sense, ADW, Nova Prime and stock AOSP) always seemed clunky and widgets where never uniform.

4. Official updates came at the carriers discretion. You'd have to root to get the latest version and that's not something everyone wants to do.

As mentioned this is my first iPhone and I can say the just in the last 3 days my decision feels like the right one. Purchased a iFace case as well as an anti reflective / fingerprint screen protector.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Say you're walking downtown or walking nearby a Starbucks, and your phone automatically remembers the free WiFi. You don't want to delete it because you actually use it when you're actually at Starbucks, but your phone still picks up the weak, unreliable signal, rendering you unable to browse the web.

Or if you are on campus with blanketed WiFi. However, certain spots on campus are very spotty or extremely congested. Your phone still connects to the WiFi but you would obviously have a better experience on your carrier data connection. The WiFi is pretty good, but not always, so you don't want to delete the network.

These are two examples I could think off the top of my head

what ever happened to wifi + cellular setting?

i remember they've put it in ios6 beta but then removed it. designed just for cases like this.

all in all, if its a good os, it would use the best connection available, hope apple is working on it

os should think instead of you

wingk1314

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
went from an iphone 4 to S3 then after 4 painful months, sold it and went to an iphone 5. These are the things that I have realised after using both:

S3>iphone's:
- bigger screen. At first I thought it was impractical, but after a while you really begin to appreciate the size.
- camera speed.
- some OS actions such as swiping to call/msg and S-beam.

S3 problems:
- extremely poorly designed button placements. Probably one of the worst ergonomically designed products I have bought in recent years (funny how they still advertise it as 'designed for humans'). The back and menu buttons in the front are capacitive and easily mis-pressed cos they are located at where you would normally hold the phone especially in landscape mode. The side buttons are easily mis-pressed too resulting in either a change in volume or in most cases, turning the screen off while doing something.
- the phone's feels like cheap plastic. If you've ever taken the back cover out you'll know what I mean. it feels like a 5 cent piece of plastic.
- the volume setting is horribly designed. Some people might appreciate the 3-4 volume sliders for different processes/apps, but I find it terribly implemented or not useful for a phone. When you turn the phone's volume down to zero you would expect the phone to be silent, but no, not on the S3. It decides that you only want that app that is open to be silent and the phone will still ring. Absolutely annoying when you are in a quiet place like a meeting room or at the movies.
- the screen is horrid. As many have pointed out, yes it is big and it uses newer technology. But samsung decided to increase the saturation so much that everything looks wrong. From a photographer's POT, this is unacceptable. Though you can slightly correct this by changing a setting in the settings. But still, the quality is no where near the iphone's.
- APPS. Although the gap is slowly closing, but the amount of quality apps in the app store far exceeds the amount in the play store on android. This is what happens when there are no guidelines for developers to follow.

Although I must admit, I am getting a bit bored of iOS and the iphone. If apple doesn't come up with something that's enticing enough for me, then I'll have to start looking elsewhere.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
I left Android because of 3 main reasons. Every time I left wifi and went to LTE I had to toggle the wifi on and off to get the phone to connect. This happened on 3 different Android phones. The phones always started to lag after a while and battery life was awful, and I love how well all my apple devices work with each other.

I don't care how fast they make the android phones they always got to be slow and battery hogs after a few months.

thatgirl87

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
I had an LG EnV before I bought the 3GS. I wanted to buy a Blackberry, but I decided on an iPhone instead and it was the best decision I ever made.

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
New York
It seems that nobody has tried the lg Optimus g, cause if you did, there would be no coming back to any version of the I phone. The Optimus runs apps flawlessly, no lag or lockups.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
It seems that nobody has tried the lg Optimus g, cause if you did, there would be no coming back to any version of the I phone. The Optimus runs apps flawlessly, no lag or lockups.

Same as the GS3.

I came from the iphone 4 and even tried the iphone 5 for a month, there's nothing the iphone 5 can do that the galaxy S III can't do, but plenty the GS3 can do but the iphone can't.

Multitasking is on both, but executed so much better on the GS3.

Notifications, Web browsing, sms, keyboard, camera, all better on the GS3 and if it isn't, make it better by changing the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.