Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I recently bought a Lacie 2big 6tb Thunderbolt which I have running beside my iMac. I gotta say I´m disappointed, the tiny noisy fan is annoying. It´s sad upgrading to a silent 2012 imac and suddenly have more sound than I had earlier because of a silly external HDD. It is supposed to have a intelligent fan that runs like the iMac´s depending on heat, but I have only noticed it being on when the HDD is on and once it goes to sleep the fan shuts off - that´s it. Also once its on for a tiny task, it keeps fanning for like 20 mins before going to sleep state again.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2big Lacie Thunderbolt drive? If there´s anything I can do so the fan behaves more silent, either with some software or settings telling it to shut up faster or getting the fan to spin more intelligently?

Currently I´m considering getting rid of it and replace it with a more silent type...like the WD Thunderbolt My Book - even if it is a slower crappier HD - at least its silent. It´s sad though, as its an expensive HDD and suppose to be good.
Or maybe someone has some other recommendations for external Thunderbolt HDD´s that are silent?

Any input is appreciated!

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I recently bought a Lacie 2big 6tb Thunderbolt which I have running beside my iMac. I gotta say I´m disappointed, the tiny noisy fan is annoying. It´s sad upgrading to a silent 2012 imac and suddenly have more sound than I had earlier because of a silly external HDD. It is supposed to have a intelligent fan that runs like the iMac´s depending on heat, but I have only noticed it being on when the HDD is on and once it goes to sleep the fan shuts off - that´s it. Also once its on for a tiny task, it keeps fanning for like 20 mins before going to sleep state again.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2big Lacie Thunderbolt drive? If there´s anything I can do so the fan behaves more silent, either with some software or settings telling it to shut up faster or getting the fan to spin more intelligently?

Currently I´m considering getting rid of it and replace it with a more silent type...like the WD Thunderbolt My Book - even if it is a slower crappier HD - at least its silent. It´s sad though, as its an expensive HDD and suppose to be good.
Or maybe someone has some other recommendations for external Thunderbolt HDD´s that are silent?

Any input is appreciated!

Most of us have had the same problem, however most of us have put in ssd's into our lacies so with that you can just unplug the fan. If you have mechanical drives you should not.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Most of us have had the same problem, however most of us have put in ssd's into our lacies so with that you can just unplug the fan. If you have mechanical drives you should not.

oh so you can replace the HDD´s with SSD´s ? just regular SSD drives. Does it need any special treatment, or just take out the hdd´s and replace ?

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
oh so you can replace the HDD´s with SSD´s ? just regular SSD drives. Does it need any special treatment, or just take out the hdd´s and replace ?

Yessir, you can pop em out and put in anything that you want really as long as they are 2.5" drives, mechanical needs the fan though, but ssd are fine without, I have 2 ssd's in mine, one 256GB for OSX and one 128GB for windows 7, I have that hooked up to my new 27" imac. I'ts been powered on for about a month straight and no heat issues.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
ok thanks, then I do that some day. Sadly SSD´s are too small yet. I´m using this as a mass storage and backup, so need at least 2gb in total. Can´t even buy 1gb SSD´s today - or at least not easily. And it would cost butloads.

essence25

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
Quick question, does your fan start up immediately after powering up or it starts up later based on temperature?

I just got the 6tb thunderbolt and the fan is not running on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.