Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
The phone has a chance of getting scratched wherever it is exposed. And depending on the case, the phone has a chance of getting scratched by the case or by particles between the case and the phone.

So the answer to your question is...most likely.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I'm using a case that exposes both the top and bottom of the phone. So far its holding quite well and I don't notice any dings or scratches. It also depends on your usage I guess, I always put it in my pocket that doesn't have anything else so the chances of scratching are near zero.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I'm using a case that exposes both the top and bottom of the phone. So far its holding quite well and I don't notice any dings or scratches. It also depends on your usage I guess, I always put it in my pocket that doesn't have anything else so the chances of scratching are near zero.

Which case you using?

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I just wanted to add to my original post that these two cases that I have for my phone, I will put into a larger case that I have used in the past for other phones I've owned.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Yes, if it gets in contact with sufficient force against another object that is harder than its coating.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Yes and it doesn't need force. Just having it in the pocket will result in scratches on any exposed part.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Will iPhone 5 Get Scratches Using A Case with Exposed Top & Bottom
There are no guarantees in life. If you don't want scratches then minimize exposed areas and look for cases that won't let grit slip in.

Just having it in the pocket will result in scratches on any exposed part.
A pocket isn't going to scratch anything. If it does you're wearing the wrong pants. A material has to be harder than another material to scratch. Sand and other hard particles in the pocket can, however, cause scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.