Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aha-lambda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and looking for advice on installing Windows 7 on my iMac (27" Mid 2011 edition) for PC gaming.
From reading on this forum it seems you can install Windows 7 on a mac from an upgrade copy of Windows 7 without any prior install of windows, yes?

I am a student and so don't want to pay for a full copy when I can get an upgrade copy much cheaper but at the below site it states:

Please Note: An upgrade from Windows 7 is not possible and this product is not compatible with Mac OS. Images shown are for illustration purposes only.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/products/microsoft-windows-7-professional-upgrade#

Is this accurate or just walking the company line so to speak for what the product is intended to do? Has the ability to clean install from an upgrade copy been recently patched out or something? Also the disc version only shows as 32 bit. I thought all windows 7 copies came with 2 discs one for 64 and 32 bit, am I wrong in thinking that? Am I just better going with the download? Mac can bootcamp 64 bit Windows 7, yeah?

Basically I've just to go through the bootcamp/install as normal but leave the cd key blank and then reinstall with the cd key to "upgrade" within windows 7, yeah?

Thanks for any help you can give me guys :)

Last edited:

aha-lambda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I take it this means the upgrade copy on the page is fine despite saying that it is not compatible then?

Plus your link doesn't mention anything about my question regarding 64 bit versions. Does bootcamp support 64 bit windows 7?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Yes, the upgrade version of Windows will work but in order to activate you need to change a Registry key and then type a command (See below). It's technically against the license agreement to do this if you don't own a previous version of Windows, but I've never heard of anyone having trouble before.

Pretty much any Mac built after 2008 supports 64-bit Windows and actually Apple is starting to discontinue support for 32-bit Windows on some new Macs.

You don't have to wait to install Wndows 7, just download the correct ISO Here and install it without entering a Product Key. This will give you a 30 day trial, then when you purchase your key you can enter it to activate.

Windows 7 Upgrade Clean Install Activation Steps:
  1. Install Windows 7
  2. When Windows Setup is done DO NOT enter your product key, just click Skip
  3. In the Start Menu search box type "regedit.exe" and press Enter
  4. Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/"
  5. Double click "MediaBootInstall" and change it from "1" to "0"
  6. Close Regedit
  7. In the Start Menu search box type "cmd" then Right click on the result and choose "Run as administrator"
  8. In the now open Command Prompt type "slmgr /rearm" (and wait for it to finish)
  9. Restart Windows
  10. In the Start Menu search box type "activate" and press Enter
  11. Follow the wizard and enter your Product Key to activate

Last edited:

jsuaggie

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
I have installed Windows 7 Professional using an upgrade disc. When the installer asks, select custom install and proceed. When you get the error message, call Microsoft and using your legitimate key, they will help you get the installation complete.

Option two, just install windows twice. Install the upgrade version, then reinstall it again as an upgrade of the install just done. Both methods work, make sure your key is valid.

dotcotton

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Yes, the upgrade version of Windows will work but in order to activate you need to change a Registry key and then type a command (See below). It's technically against the license agreement to do this if you don't own a previous version of Windows, but I've never heard of anyone having trouble before.

Pretty much any Mac built after 2008 supports 64-bit Windows and actually Apple is starting to discontinue support for 32-bit Windows on some new Macs.

You don't have to wait to install Wndows 7, just download the correct ISO Here and install it without entering a Product Key. This will give you a 30 day trial, then when you purchase your key you can enter it to activate.

Hi,

Would this method work for performing a clean windows install with the upgrade version of windows 8, on a mountain lion macbook pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.