Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njafry99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Hello,

Short of wanting to reinvent the wheel....I am in the USA on honeymoon. I have the opportunity to get the iPhone 5 "sim free".

As many know, the A1429 model in the USA is a little different from that sold in the UK. I have been told the sim free "unlocked" handset in the USA is indeed a Verizon handset, which from what I see is unlocked out the box.

My questions are: can I use the USA handset in the UK using EE's 4G or is it just gsm unlocked (and locked LTE)? And, with this US handset, will I be able to call and browse the internet simultaneously?

Finally, without looking at the spec sheet, has anyone here actually done the above, and if so, may I ask of experiences please?

Many many thanks for your help.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
the verizon one A1429 could help you for EE use but i'm not sure if this device is sold as "unlocked" even sold at full price if it is then LTE and sim use won't be an issue

and indeed as Applejuiced said only the A1428 is the "official unlocked" iPhone that they sell for LTE use in canada usa and mexico (and the rest of the americas in 2013)

phearz

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
the verizon one A1429 could help you for EE use but i'm not sure if this device is sold as "unlocked" even sold at full price if it is then LTE and sim use won't be an issue

and indeed as Applejuiced said only the A1428 is the "official unlocked" iPhone that they sell for LTE use in canada usa and mexico (and the rest of the americas in 2013)

I can confirm that the Verizon A1429 is unlocked out of the box. Verizon has even confirmed it themselves. They are not allowed to lock it due to FCC requirements they agreed to with the purchase of the 700MHz band they utilize for LTE.

See '(e) Handset locking prohibited' at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...v8&view=text&node=47:2.0.1.1.5.2.49.7&idno=47 for further clarification.

To the OP, go ahead and walk into an Apple store and just ask for a Verizon iPhone 5 as a 'device only' sale. It will function just like a standard GSM unlocked A1429 would, and with support for the 1800MHz LTE band EE is utilizing. I wouldn't mention anything about it being used abroad or asking if it is unlocked, as they most likely wouldn't know.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I can confirm that the Verizon A1429 is unlocked out of the box. Verizon has even confirmed it themselves. They are not allowed to lock it due to FCC requirements they agreed to with the purchase of the 700MHz band they utilize for LTE.

See '(e) Handset locking prohibited' at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...v8&view=text&node=47:2.0.1.1.5.2.49.7&idno=47 for further clarification.

That is correct.
All Verizon iphone 5 phones are unlocked and will work with any GSM carrier. Even if bought under contract or bought full price.

njafry99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I did make the mistake of asking about use abroad, all were clueless, except one. He did say the unlocked phone they sell is the A1428. That was the one they brought me originally. I then said I was after the A1429. That was when he started to talk about the Verizon phone.

I understand the Verizon A1429 will function as any gsm handset in the UK. The concern I have is from what the chap said in-store was the LTE frequencies being locked to Verizon. Hawaii is a long long way away from the UK. I don't want to get it wrong...

So to confirm: the Verizon A1429 sold in the USA will work for both 3G/3G+ and 4G if used with an EE sim in the UK?

Many thanks again for your input and advice.

phearz

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I did make the mistake of asking about use abroad, all were clueless, except one. He did say the unlocked phone they sell is the A1428. That was the one they brought me originally. I then said I was after the A1429. That was when he started to talk about the Verizon phone.

I understand the Verizon A1429 will function as any gsm handset in the UK. The concern I have is from what the chap said in-store was the LTE frequencies being locked to Verizon. Hawaii is a long long way away from the UK. I don't want to get it wrong...

So to confirm: the Verizon A1429 sold in the USA will work for both 3G/3G+ and 4G if used with an EE sim in the UK?

Many thanks again for your input and advice.

That's absolutely correct. The Verizon A1429 is not locked in any way. It is fully unlocked for GSM/LTE use. The Verizon A1429 is the EXACT same hardware that you get with a SIM free A1429 in the UK, with the exception that it can be provisioned on the Verizon CDMA network, which is irrelevant in your situation.

The A1428 you were brought initially would work in the UK as well, however only on GSM/3G as it does not support the LTE band in use by EE. The only difference between the two models is the LTE bands it supports. Hopefully by the time the 5S comes out they'll have merged all the LTE bands into one device and only have one hardware model like the 4S.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

njafry99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks. Helpful indeed.

Finally, has anyone actually done this, ie bought the US Verizon iPhone 5 and brought it for use in the? Experiences??

Thanks once again.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Thanks. Helpful indeed.

Finally, has anyone actually done this, ie bought the US Verizon iPhone 5 and brought it for use in the? Experiences??

Thanks once again.

people have, just tell the clerk you want the verizon one open it up and make sure its A1429 and just tell them device only no activation whatsoever and that should do it I think

phearz

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Thanks. Helpful indeed.

Thanks once again.

I have not personally used EE LTE on a Verizon A1429, but I do know someone who has. I have an Orange PAYG SIM that I use while in the UK and I can confirm that it works in the Verizon A1429 and successfully registers onto a roaming network here in the states, but I will not be able to personally test LTE until my next visit to the UK. Hopefully they'll be offering LTE on PAYG by then as well!

But as has been said before, it is unlocked and the spec sheet clearly states that it will support the EE LTE band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.