Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfostoria

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Hello all. I recently found an early Mac Plus in my grandparents basement and would like to get it running again. Unfortunately, I have no hard drive or boot disk for it. I thought I could make my own, but I'm encountering problems left and right. Here's what I have so far: the Plus, an old Powerbook 1400cs (from my other grandmother's basement) with only a floppy drive running system 7.5.3 (no CD, no internet) , and a Dell Latitude laptop with a floppy drive. I also have both an 800k and a 1.44mb floppy disk. My plan was to download the system disk image to the PC, use a program called Transmac to write it to the 1.44 floppy, transfer that to the powerbook, and then transfer again to the 800k. The problem that I'm having is that all the image files that I download are ".image" files and I have no idea what to do with them. I can get them onto the powerbook, but then it doesn't recognize the file type. What's going on here?

It should also be noted that these are the only two Apple products I've had any exposure to, so any Mac lingo will need to be explained.

-Robert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.