Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
I have been looking for a good app for putting videos on to DVD and to be honest I haven't a clue as I've just moved to Mac from PC. I've read that iDVD is many peoples choice and I've managed to get hold of an iLife 09 disc which has iDVD on it. It also has iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband on it and this may be a stupid question but if I install iLife will it overwrite the newer versions of iPhoto etc. which are already on my mac? Will it delete all my photos too?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
No and no (both questions).

While it will not overwrite existing apps, it may become the default for opening the associated files. You can change this from the Get Info window associated with any of the relevant file types. iPhoto will probably want to suck into its db all you existing images, but it leaves the originals as it found them.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
It shouldn't overwrite your existing software. But, the smartest thing to do is pause on the screen where you choose the install destination, or where it tells you it'll take X amount of space on the hard drive. There should be a customize option where you can de-select the GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto and their support files, and install just iDVD and iWeb, or just iDVD if you de-select iWeb as well.

tomwalsh77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Blackpool, UK
Ok thanks, I wasn't aware you could customise the installation like that. iDvd is the only thing I want on the disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.