Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9huyna1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Hi everyone, I just jumped ship from Android and I'm finally on iOS :D. Anyway, I've been pondering a few things; After doing some research, I've come to see that most of the links I pull up state the answers I'm looking for in ways that seem a bit too complicated for my complete understanding. So...if I may ask:

1) Why is iOS considered so secure? Why is it that when someone asks if there's an iPhone virus, people reply with "There are no known viruses for iOS"? Is it really THAT secure? Why and how does jailbreaking compromise this? Is there any way you can get a virus on a non-jailbroken iPhone?

2) I've always wondered this because I'm slightly paranoid: Is there such thing as a virus that can just take control of your camera and start taking pictures or video when you're not aware of it? That seems to be the worst of my concerns because it'd completely compromise user privacy...

Thanks so much :)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Not in my years of owning apple products.

After moving from windows where the 1st thing I'd have to buy is security software and still getting hit to a mac book air to where I've never been hit by a virus at all. {fingers crossed }

Jail breaking does not weaken the iOS.

Just ensure if you change passwords for root access if you get involved in that.

Downloading tweaks have never affected my iPhones. I have no worries performing Internet banking etc.

Simply put iOS is just the most stable platform I've used.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Never had, hopefully never will.
Downside of JB iPhone (at least for me) is that it slows somehow the performance. But no security issues for me.
Viruses and bugs are the main reason i moved from windows to mac 5 years ago. Then i discovered there is much more to like about the OS.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Never had, hopefully never will.
Downside of JB iPhone (at least for me) is that it slows somehow the performance..

It's not the jailbreak that can slow down the performance of the device. It's some tweaks that are responsible. For me personally it was winter board. But on balance tweaks such as fakeclockup etc disables animations and gives the impression of a quicker device.

The lag I got was on opening up apps so no deal breaker there for me.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It's not the jailbreak that can slow down the performance of the device. It's some tweaks that are responsible.

Probably you are right, since i used quite a lot of tweaks. But then i did undo the jaibreak because phone was getting noticeably slower. If i JB again i may be a bit more selective on tweaks.

9huyna1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks guys :D

So, can I take it that the camera thing doesn't exist as of now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.