Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I have a beige power mac G3 minitower. Looks like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beige_Power_Macintosh_G3_Minitower.jpg

I believe it has a DB-15 Video display port, and my 23" Cinema display has a DVI connector

So I guess I need a DB-15 to DVI adapter? Do they exist and any links to the correct type? I did a search but only found VGA (which also has 15 holes) to DVI adpaters but I don't think these are correct as the VGA is too small.

Any advice/help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Since it's a matter of converting an analog signal to a digital one I think you are going to need a proper converter. Either that or maybe look for a compatible video card with DVI out?

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Sounds expensive bud.

I just want to pull some archival files off it, and need a monitor to see what I'm doing, lol

I do have another monitor I lent out that has a VGA port, so I assume I can connect this up direct with a DB15 to VGA adaptor + a VGA to VGA cable and I should be set?

Falstaff

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Arizona
Sounds expensive bud.

I just want to pull some archival files off it, and need a monitor to see what I'm doing, lol

I do have another monitor I lent out that has a VGA port, so I assume I can connect this up direct with a DB15 to VGA adaptor + a VGA to VGA cable and I should be set?

That would work. The adapters are not expensive either. I've collected several over the years. But Starfighter"s suggestion of a compatible video card is another inexpensive option. I'm talking $5-10 range on epray.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Thanks guys. Which card would work? with DVI out for this old G3?

I looked on e*ay and this is what I found, but it only have VGA out

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATI-Rade...ents&hash=item4849fe6b3e&_uhb=1#ht_3870wt_864
There are PCI Radeon 7000 cards that have both DVI and VGA on them, but you have to make sure you track down a Mac version unless you have a PC to flash the ROM onto a regular PC version. I looked on eBay just now, and the only PCI versions for Mac are international right now, but they usually pop up.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, I found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-G...413?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2ebb42f635

$45 shipped from the US

or this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Radeon-...666?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3cccec72a2

$37 shipped from Hong Kong

Both look identical and should do the job right?

Also, with this card is it possible to plug BOTH my Samsung 173P (via VGA port on the Radeon 7000) AND my  Cinema 23" (via DVI port on Radeon 7000) and will both work? ie. with dual display spanning..

The Samsung 173P has a DVI port as well, but looks this Radeon 7000 only has 1 DVI out.

Thanks again guys

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Both cards look good to me. And yes, running an extended desktop with both screens is supported by that card.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Ok thanks. My only concern with buying the card is its money down the drain as after pulling the data Ill have very little use for the g3.

I'm thinking of going the VGA route on the Samsung monitor to save $$. What's the drawback with this vs the card + DVI? Just that its analog and slower?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Ok thanks. My only concern with buying the card is its money down the drain as after pulling the data Ill have very little use for the g3.

I'm thinking of going the VGA route on the Samsung monitor to save $$. What's the drawback with this vs the card + DVI? Just that its analog and slower?

If you're just yanking some files off of the machine, then there is no downside whatsoever to using a VGA monitor. It'll let you use the Finder just as well as any other monitor :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.