Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:37 PM   #1
macuserjhs
macrumors regular

Roadtest coming up

well this is my second time taking my road test. Its in NY. This time i might have to take it in a mercedes C300 because my honda is in for service. A lot of people have told me not to take it in a nice car b/c instructers are more likely to fail you. Anyone ever been in this situation?
macuserjhs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuserjhs View Post
well this is my second time taking my road test.

Anyone ever been in this situation?
Nope. Passed on the first try.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Anyone ever been in this situation?
Nope. I never had a nice car until after 20 years behind the wheel. I took my road test in a compact Toyota pickup with no power steering, no passenger side mirror and, worst of all, no A/C. I passed on my first attempt.

The deputy conducting the test was impressed that beginner managed to parallel park without power steering or a passenger side mirror. The rest of the test was a breeze.

Anyhow, they won't allow you to use the parking assist capability of the car if it has one. These modern luxury cars parallel can parallel park themselves, so they advertise.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:13 PM   #4
macuserjhs
macrumors regular

I dont have the parking assist. I do have a backup camera which i wont be using. People just say that the examiner will pre-judge you being an 18 year old kid with a benz.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
I dont have the parking assist. I do have a backup camera which i wont be using. People just say that the examiner will pre-judge you being an 18 year old kid with a benz.
Who knows...just do the best you can.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:53 PM   #6
eternlgladiator
macrumors 68000

Psh, that's crap, just don't break any laws and you'll pass the test. Pretty simple stuff
eternlgladiator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Apple Techs
macrumors member

just throw a wad of hundreds on the dash before you start the test

you should be good to go
Apple Techs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:26 PM   #8
macuserjhs
macrumors regular

haha, I might be driving a benz but I do not have a wad of cash to throw down.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:35 PM   #9
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
haha, I might be driving a benz but I do not have a wad of cash to throw down.
Oh, you only deal with checks?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:44 PM   #10
senseless
macrumors 65816

I took mine in the AAA drivers Ed car and passed easily. A friend took his test in a performance muscle car and failed for "driver inexperience" even though he passed everything.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:01 PM   #11
macuserjhs
macrumors regular

Looks like my honda will be back in time for the test but im still more used to driving the C300. Decisions, Decisions.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:03 PM   #12
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Choose whatever is smaller.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:27 AM   #13
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

I've always wanted to take a driving test in a DeLorean.
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:02 AM   #14
malman89
macrumors 65816

Just don't be a smart ass. I remember taking my test at 16 and for the parking part, the designated stop and Y turn was perfect. For the parallel park, I didn't pull up enough, so I ran out of space backing in. I kind of bumped the rear cones, but I gave it an extra push to get space.

Why? Because it was less points than hitting the cones, going forward, and backing up to adjust. You only got points for hitting the cones at all - not how much you hit them.

Needless to say my test administrator wasn't too impressed with that logic. Still passed since I was under my parking points and was perfect on the road, heh.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:12 PM   #15
mgguy
macrumors 6502

Just pay attention to what you are doing, do visual scans throughout the test (examiners love that), and talk to the examiner respectfully. If you are a crappy driver, though, you should fail the test, so make sure you are ready before going in there -- practice, practice, practice. End of lecture.
mgguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

No one is impressed with a "benz" they are a dime a dozen. If you fail, it will be because you can't drive.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:41 PM   #17
LizKat
macrumors 68020

I don't think which car you are driving matters very much. It's best if it's one you're familiar with, obviously.

It's how you are driving and whether you are paying attention, how dealing with any unexpected events. Even though it's a test and you're excited that you'll be so close (again!) to getting your license, the main thing is you're driving a real car during your test, and you must show you can really control that vehicle safely.

Focus on the requests from the instructor and work that into the environment you find your vehicle in at that moment. Like if he says ok cross this road we're approaching, and then parallel park behind that red truck up there? Well, be sure that you cross that road in a safe and legal manner. Don't get ahead of yourself. Is there a stop sign? Worry about the parallel park when you get there.

My first test was arranged so the driver would approach a divided boulevard just at the end of the test. One could actually see where the test had begun up ahead, so that was perhaps arranged as a distraction. The testing hour was middle of the afternoon and hardly any traffic. Naturally since the road I was about to drive across was divided, there were two stop signs. I didn't even notice the second one as I cruised through the mall area of the boulevard and across the other empty driving lane to finish up where the test had begun.

FAIL !! And it was really irritating to fail over something so stupid (and so vital to staying alive, I may hastily add). Anyway ever since then I still grimace when I prepare to cross a divided highway. You can bet I stop in the mall area for that second stop-sign now though. Every time I do that I think back to when I was so close to done, and then had to wait two weeks, then re-do all that other stuff on my second test, the parallel parking and Y turn, wow.

Of course on my second test it was a different route and some other hassle instead of a divided roadway, I think there was a roundabout and I remember having to go around a double-parked garbage truck, wondering what the heck the rules were when navigating past a rule-breaking vehicle... and all the time totally obsessed over whether I was going to miss any stop signs. I think the guy told me "relax" a few times, I must have looked like a teenager on the very brink of insanity. Anyway I passed that second test.

Good luck! Take the car you know best, and just keep your eyes open for extra stop signs says my long-ago experience.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:54 PM   #18
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
No one is impressed with a "benz" they are a dime a dozen. If you fail, it will be because you can't drive.
So true. Mercedes are very common cars. They aren't better than BMW's and Audi's (Infiniti's, Lexus') if you're only considering the price of the cars. They're everywhere! An Aston Martin on the other hand... while the lower end models can be just as pricey as the higher-end Benz, they're still not as common in most areas.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:00 PM   #19
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

well this is my second time taking my road test. Its in NY. This time i might have to take it in a mercedes C300 because my honda is in for service.
OMG POOR YOU!

Quote:
A lot of people have told me not to take it in a nice car b/c instructers are more likely to fail you. Anyone ever been in this situation?
A lot? Who? They're wrong.

You likely failed the first time because the examiner did not find you a suitable driver. If you fail again I assure you that it will not be because of the car you drove. GL kiddo.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion