Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:36 AM   #26
Pueblo
macrumors newbie

Smart marketing, IT headache

Error, error, error..."not recognized", and all these types of problems even 12 hours later.
Obvious they did not prepare for this campaign. Achieved the opposite they were going for.
Pueblo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:13 AM   #27
jagolden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo View Post
Error, error, error..."not recognized", and all these types of problems even 12 hours later.
Obvious they did not prepare for this campaign. Achieved the opposite they were going for.
Completely agree. I'm much more annoyed now than looking forward to reading some issues.

By time they fix this I'll probably have moved on to something else and forget about this.
jagolden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:44 AM   #28
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Yup still getting error's here too. Even the web site was slow last night, however today it was moving a little faster.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:53 AM   #29
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadua View Post
Quote:
We don’t like letting you down. ...

To that end, we’re pausing the Marvel Comics #1 promotion for the time being.
So their solution to high demand is to stop providing the product. Well, that'll make sure all the sorta-fans that were kinda checking this out will not become actual customers.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:12 PM   #30
chadua
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
So their solution to high demand is to stop providing the product. Well, that'll make sure all the sorta-fans that were kinda checking this out will not become actual customers.
They are going to reoffer the free issues in the future (there is a sign up to be notified when it happens) after they have their servers in a state where people can actually claim them instead of getting errors. Don't forget that thousands of people trying to download 700 comics for nothing pretty much shut down their actual business and service for two whole days while their servers were down. I couldn't even download comics that I already owned that weren't on my device. Free comics isn't a product it's a promotion and one that is still being offered once they are actually capable of doing it.

Obviously they dropped the ball big time, but they didn't just cancel the promotion.
chadua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:15 AM   #31
starbird
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadua View Post
They are going to reoffer the free issues in the future (there is a sign up to be notified when it happens) after they have their servers in a state where people can actually claim them instead of getting errors. Don't forget that thousands of people trying to download 700 comics for nothing pretty much shut down their actual business and service for two whole days while their servers were down. I couldn't even download comics that I already owned that weren't on my device. Free comics isn't a product it's a promotion and one that is still being offered once they are actually capable of doing it.

Obviously they dropped the ball big time, but they didn't just cancel the promotion.
Where is the sign up? I got an email from comixology, but the marvel app had nothing.
starbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:30 PM   #32
chadua
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
Where is the sign up? I got an email from comixology, but the marvel app had nothing.
I can't find it now. I think it was here http://marvel.com/news/story/20260/s...rvel_1_updated looks like they removed the sign up link though. I could be wrong about where it was. I'll look for it some more and let you know.
chadua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:45 PM   #33
Nermal

Now that the server load has dropped off, I was able to download the comics that I "bought" when this promotion was running. Everything seems to be working now, although the app itself is clunky and the comics don't go into iBooks. They also appear to be in a strange format as I can't find any PDF or ePub files when I poke around in the app data.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:09 AM   #34
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Now that the server load has dropped off, I was able to download the comics that I "bought" when this promotion was running. Everything seems to be working now, although the app itself is clunky and the comics don't go into iBooks. They also appear to be in a strange format as I can't find any PDF or ePub files when I poke around in the app data.
Ever heard of DRM? You're not going to find pdf or ePub files, nor are you going to be able to open them in iBooks.
DRM is the whole reason Marvel got into this problem in the first place
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:08 PM   #35
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben View Post
Ever heard of DRM? You're not going to find pdf or ePub files, nor are you going to be able to open them in iBooks.
DRM is the whole reason Marvel got into this problem in the first place
Yes, I have heard of DRM but this is the first mention of it in the thread. It's only reasonable to expect that books bought in iOS would end up in iBooks, so upon finding that they don't I decided to post in the thread and let everyone know. For people that want "normal" ebooks, they can save themselves the struggle when the promotion resumes.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:55 PM   #36
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Yes, I have heard of DRM but this is the first mention of it in the thread. It's only reasonable to expect that books bought in iOS would end up in iBooks, so upon finding that they don't I decided to post in the thread and let everyone know. For people that want "normal" ebooks, they can save themselves the struggle when the promotion resumes.
Only purchases made in the iBooks store will automatically appear in iBooks. For the kind of integration you're looking for iBooks would have to be part of the operating system, which of course it currently is not.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion