Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Kindle for iOS Updated with In-App Sample Search and Downloads

Amazon has updated its Kindle app for iOS to version 3.9, adding a feature that allows users to search for book samples using the app's existing Library Search tool.

Rather than simply searching through a user's library, the app now searches through Amazon's entire catalog of books and brings up samples that can be downloaded directly within the app.

Though users can download in-app book samples to read, ebooks are still unable to be purchased within the app. While the Kindle app used to include a link that directed users to the Kindle Store for purchases, Amazon was forced to remove the feature two years ago when Apple implemented new In-App subscription rules that barred links to third party web stores.

All Kindle purchases are still required to be made outside of the Kindle app, but the availability of sample books is a welcome perk for regular Kindle users.

When a sample book has been read, instead of directing users to the Amazon website to purchase the book, the app sends an email with a link to the Kindle Store, allowing the company to skirt Apple's rules while directing traffic to the Amazon site. Amazon also recommends similar books, offering a wishlist, another sample, or an e-mail about the recommendation.

In addition to offering sample downloads, the newest version of the Amazon app for iOS also allows customers to import and use previously purchased dictionaries and it includes an accessibility quick reference guide along with both bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Kindle for iOS is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Kindle for iOS Updated with In-App Sample Search and Downloads
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:26 PM   #2
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

Thanks, but I'll stick to iBooks.
xNYMetsx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Sharkus
macrumors member

That's an interesting addition, as far as I'm aware, unless you are using In App Purchase, you are pretty much prevented - by way of your app being rejected, - from providing samples / previews of content in any way, shape, or form.

Perhaps Apple's rules have changed and those apps who had to remove in-app stores that displayed sample / preview content can now add that back in?
Sharkus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:02 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYMetsx View Post
I prefer iBooks... but I'll stick to Kindle: Kindle supports library lending, and iBooks does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
That's an interesting addition, as far as I'm aware, unless you are using In App Purchase, you are pretty much prevented - by way of your app being rejected, - from providing samples / previews of content in any way, shape, or form.

Perhaps Apple's rules have changed and those apps who had to remove in-app stores that displayed sample / preview content can now add that back in?
Interesting if you're right--we'll see what happens!
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

This is a welcome addition! I rarely read off of my Kindle, but this should be a nice help.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
needfx
macrumors 68000

I just downloaded kindle for ios yesterday and the first book I bought, is fellow forum user's book, roadbloc, "vending machine lunch"
needfx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
How is that reading books in the browser working out for you?
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
How is that reading books in the browser working out for you?
Well great considering the fact that iBooks is an application.
xNYMetsx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:29 PM   #9
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
... until you try to buy a book in a language other than the store language; if you live in Japan and want to buy a ebook in English for example, iBooks is not even an option.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:45 PM   #10
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
... until you try to buy a book in a language other than the store language; if you live in Japan and want to buy a ebook in English for example, iBooks is not even an option.
Well then, good thing I don't live in Japan.
xNYMetsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:15 PM   #11
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well then, good thing I don't live in Japan.
Maybe you've never moved out of your hometown and that's great, but the number of people living outside their home country is steadily increasing, as is the number of multicultural families. An online store that won't allow consumers to buy content in a different language seems really backward in today's world. I hope that Apple realizes that some day, but in the meantime Amazon will be getting my money.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:17 AM   #12
kmichalec
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sure. If you like to pay more for books and not be able to loan them out or receive loans from others, and not download any ebooks from the library, and never plan to switch to any other device platform, and never have any interest in reading books online via a web browser if you don't have your device, then iBooks is great.

No thanks. I'll stick with a better priced, customer centric, universal platform for my books through Amazon. And also with a company that doesn't price fix it's book prices.
kmichalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
egoistaxx9
macrumors 6502

nah, i'll stick with the google books, it's way better.
egoistaxx9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 03:38 AM   #14
SteveW928
macrumors regular

Please... a way to categorize our library!!!

I've been asking Amazon for this for years now, but it would be really helpful if there were a way to categorize our library. This applies both to all our purchases, as well as to the books stored on the device. Once you have hundreds of books, it sucks to have to search through the whole list on the cloud side. But, I also store a good deal of my purchases on my iPad, so I'd like to categorize them there as well. They keep bringing out new features, but seem to keep missing something so simple (and something their best customers likely need).

Regarding Amazon vs iBooks, maybe iBooks will get there some day, but last I checked, they simply didn't have much of what I'm wanting to buy. At least now with a desktop client coming, they have a shot at it.... FINALLY.
SteveW928 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion