Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
But..... The new ipad minis are coming out ? Why can't they wait for retina ?

Why do they need to be retina? The screens on the back of the headrests they would replace do not have retina.

Like most products purchased to be loaned and hired, they will be the cheapest and lowest spec devices to minimise damage and loss liability.

It is not likely they are going to give a 128GB, retina and cellular capable iPad mini to some kid or bozo to drool over and spill their drink over....

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What's the point of an iPad when you have other noisy unruly adult passengers ruining the flight for everyone else onboard? Can't enjoy the iPads anyway.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I'd be willing to bet these minis are thousands (each) less than the in-flight systems embedded in seat backs on other airlines and less expensive to maintain. But the gamble is whether people will need to rent them b/c they have their own. However $15 is a decent price being loaded up with movies. I wonder if it also includes internet too.

Traditional IFE system = roundabout 10k$ per seat.

iPad Mini, with IFE software...what, like $500 tops, maybe?

Question: Do the iPads come with all the content preloaded on them, or do they need a wifi streaming infrastructure on board?

kdarling

macrumors P6
This is going to make that seat back video system seem like total garbage. It would be hard going back.

I'd say it depends on what the original seat back video system did.

• If the seat back system included on-demand movies, then it's a draw.
  • If the seat back system had satellite TV, that's something the tablet is missing.
  • Games are probably better on the tablet (although some built-in systems have nice controllers).

Question: Do the iPads come with all the content preloaded on them, or do they need a wifi streaming infrastructure on board?

In this case, they're preloaded.

The WSJ says the tablets will come with "more than 100 hours of the latest Hollywood releases, television shows, and a variety of exciting interactive games ..."

cancelus

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
Texas

The ones that I used on the quantas flight did require wifi, but only on a local network. They did not have full access to the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.