Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
It depends on the video format. For example, 1080p H.264 content is no problem and can be played natively using QuickTime. MKV should pose no problem either, unless the content is hi10p. For a more detailed explanation, refer to this post by Menneisyys2: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1547504/.

DTS support as of this writing is NOT included in nPlayer or any other player available in the App Store currently. This may or may not change, I've heard that some developers are negotiating the license for DTS support, so keep your eyes open.

I have no info on 3D other than it's not supported by any player in the App Store as of this writing. I don't see it changing either as the iPad lacks an autostereoscopic display and anaglyph 3D is simply a mess.

I could do OK with anaglyph 3D on the iPad. Keep in mind that it can be connected to a TV, monitor or projector. I don't expect more than that at this time.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
DTS support as of this writing is NOT included in nPlayer or any other player available in the App Store currently. This may or may not change, I've heard that some developers are negotiating the license for DTS support, so keep your eyes open.

I fyou jailbreak, RushPlayer+ supports DTS just fine. So does XBMC, but I don't recommend it for iPad 3 users.

I have no info on 3D other than it's not supported by any player in the App Store as of this writing. I don't see it changing either as the iPad lacks an autostereoscopic display and anaglyph 3D is simply a mess.

CineXPlayer supports anaglyph 3D. I haven't tested its 3D, though.

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
I fyou jailbreak, RushPlayer+ supports DTS just fine. So does XBMC, but I don't recommend it for iPad 3 users.

CineXPlayer supports anaglyph 3D. I haven't tested its 3D, though.
Yeah, as I said App Store players lack DTS. I won't delve into jailbreaking as it's not my territory.

As for CineXPlayer, thanks for the correction. It's funny I don't remember it having support for anaglyph 3D as I talked about it before.

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
You don't know what you're losing ;) It's like MS-DOS vs. a true windowing system - JB'n iPads are so much more powerful.

Without drifting too off topic, I know about and have experience with jailbreaking. There are uses for that, this coming from someone who helped port FFmpeg for iOS. However, on a moral level, I don't feel it's good to go about jailbreaking to the general public, certainly not on a public forum either. There are many users out there who don't know how to handle a jailbroken device and may screw things up. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I may have caused trouble for others by talking about it. But, that's just me. I know people have different views about this and I don't mind someone else talking about jailbreaking, as it's their decision to do so. That said, I know what I'm losing. :)

cdonepudi

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
I have been researching many of these apps for a little project I'm working on.

The newer Honda Odyssey and Acura MDX have HDMI input. I am thinking of purchasing one in the near future. I would like to hook up my iOS device with the HDMI adaptor so that I can use the rear entertainment system without discs.

The audio systems are multichannel capable but I am not sure what codecs (AC3, DTS, etc) are supported. I'm pretty sure multichannel PCM will work.

Do any of the apps discussed in this thread output multichannel (5.1) audio through the HDMI adaptor? I have a collection of high-res multichannel FLAC music that I would love to play. MKV+DTS and MKV+FLAC movies as well.

Thanks

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Airplay not working on apps

Hi Guys,

I have on my avplayer HD, Buzz player and nplayer.

All these claim to airplay to the ATV.

When I try air play from the movies, all I get is the audio (and Icon) on the ATV.

Am I missing something here or is this not just simply false advertising?

plex on the other hand simply works ...
cheers

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi Guys,

I have on my avplayer HD, Buzz player and nplayer.

All these claim to airplay to the ATV.

When I try air play from the movies, all I get is the audio (and Icon) on the ATV.

Am I missing something here or is this not just simply false advertising?

plex on the other hand simply works ...
cheers

You're trying to play back non-HW-playable content (like MKV files) without switching to mirroring mode.

As I explained in several of my mirroring / multimedia articles (keep an eye on them here at the MR forum - they're pretty good), you either use mirroring to get a picture or convert those files to Apple-native ones for playback without having to enable mirroring.

I'd go with the latter as AirPlay mirroring is much inferior to direct playback.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Ok, I have just tried with compliant mp4's and it looks like airplay only works when the files are on my ipad/iphone.

nplayer: The Airplay will not work when the files are on my samba shares, Is this the same for everyone?

firecore

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2010
Denver, CO
You're trying to play back non-HW-playable content (like MKV files) without switching to mirroring mode.

As I explained in several of my mirroring / multimedia articles (keep an eye on them here at the MR forum - they're pretty good), you either use mirroring to get a picture or convert those files to Apple-native ones for playback without having to enable mirroring.

I'd go with the latter as AirPlay mirroring is much inferior to direct playback.
The new version of Infuse now supports AirPlay, even for non-Apple formats like MKV.

More info can be found on our blog.
http://fireco.re/QhTV

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Yes, there are a few streaming options currently in the works, and we're hoping to have them available in early fall.

Thanks - one to watch I think. Do you have any videos of the app in action? I haven't seen any reviews and I'm keen to see how this app performs.

pandabunny

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
To go back to the original AVPlayer topic - could anyone who updated to the new iOS 7 version say something about the changes? I'm kind of paranoid to update, it seems the last few updates were not really good or necessary. :D :)

Giuly

macrumors 68040
To go back to the original AVPlayer topic - could anyone who updated to the new iOS 7 version say something about the changes? I'm kind of paranoid to update, it seems the last few updates were not really good or necessary. :D :)

The interface was updated to an iOS 7 look, and it has some minor new features.

Depending on which version of AVPlayer you have: DTS support was removed some versions ago.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Another update of AVplayerHD, appears to be working fine, although I did make local backups of the earlier version after past experiences.

Introduces "Dolby Mobile", no idea what that means, I'm yet to google it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How do nPlayer, AVPlayerHD and Infuse compare? I'm mostly playing MKV stored locally on the iPad.

Get nPlayer. AVPlayerHD is definitely worse and less standards-compliant (see for example my direct comparison in my latest, dedicated article at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1652736/ ).

I'll post a dedicated review of Infuse when the promised version 2.0 is released. Up until then, I don't elaborate on it.

Last edited:

knazio

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Hi

I bought nPlayer yesterday and otherwise it works fine, but I could connect to my synology nas only from my home network. I use smb and everything works fine with Oplayer and exactly same settings. With Cellular data or other wifi I get "network unreachable" error. Even when it gives that error message, I can play video normally from recently played list when using cellular network. As it work with Oplayer, I thought is it possible nplayer bug or am I missing something?

I login as smb://***.synology.me with my username and password. Title and workgroup are empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.