Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

essenceofwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I have a friend who's looking to sell a 2008 Macbook, and I was considering buying it from them, doing a few upgrades, and potentially re-selling it. I've done a bunch of desktop building, but I'm trying to get some experience tinkering with laptops.

The stock specs are:
Early 2008 Macbook (4,1)
13.3'' (1280x720)
Core2Duo @2.1 GHz
1 GB (2x 512 MB) RAM
120GB 5400-rpm SATA HDD
Working superdrive

It's in nice physical condition as it's been well cared for, and had the keyboard/plastic-shell replacement under warranty.

I was going to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB, and add a 240/250 GB SSD. I'm still deciding between an OWC (which doesn't require TRIM) and a Samsung or Crucial (which do).

Mac2Sell gives a starting price of $280, and an upgrades price of $730. I was going to offer to buy it for ~300, and then try to sell it for $700. Does that sound reasonable?

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I have a friend who's looking to sell a 2008 Macbook, and I was considering buying it from them, doing a few upgrades, and potentially re-selling it. I've done a bunch of desktop building, but I'm trying to get some experience tinkering with laptops.

The stock specs are:
Early 2008 Macbook (4,1)
13.3'' (1280x720)
Core2Duo @2.1 GHz
1 GB (2x 512 MB) RAM
120GB 5400-rpm SATA HDD
Working superdrive

It's in nice physical condition as it's been well cared for, and had the keyboard/plastic-shell replacement under warranty.

I was going to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB, and add a 240/250 GB SSD. I'm still deciding between an OWC (which doesn't require TRIM) and a Samsung or Crucial (which do).

Mac2Sell gives a starting price of $280, and an upgrades price of $730. I was going to offer to buy it for ~300, and then try to sell it for $700. Does that sound reasonable?

I think that would be a risky endeavor. Some things to consider will be OS limitations going forward. For example, if I recall correctly, you need to have a Core i5/i7 in order to use Airplay from a Mac to an AppleTV. At the $700 mark someone could easily pick up a used 13" MBP that will run all the latest software that the '08 can't (or wont be able to in a year or so). Not to mention that SSD prices are falling all the time, so a 256GB purchased now might be half that cost in a few months (not to mention that '08 is probably limited to SATAII speeds at best).

I'm sure you could buy it and re-sell it, but I would only see this going for a few hundred more with those upgrades, which will cost you a few hundred more...

That's just my opinion. Still a good machine and probably worth it at the lower price, but there are too many advances in the last few years that will make this machine become dated far too quickly for that kind of money ($700+).

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
I wouldn't. The profit you could gain is to little and at 700, it is just too much for a second hand 6 year old laptop. Even if it is an Apple computer.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030

The stock specs are:
Early 2008 Macbook (4,1)
13.3'' (1280x720)
Core2Duo @2.1 GHz
1 GB (2x 512 MB) RAM
120GB 5400-rpm SATA HDD
Working superdrive

ummm,no, maybe $300

Last edited:

essenceofwar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Ok.

Maybe I'll see if they just want me to do the upgrades for them so they can use it for a little longer before pony'ing up for the new MBA :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.