Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:12 PM   #126
smoledman
macrumors 65816

I agree with initial sentiment - hamster coffin.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:13 PM   #127
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
The plastic housing on the iPhone 3GS was very high in quality and construction.
Having repaired numerous 3G and 3GS in my life time, let me take a second and laugh at this statement.

Hah... haha... ahahaha....

Brittle, scuffed and hairline cracks. Choose one. I replaced tons of rear shells in addition to screens. Surprisingly, the jump to a glass back cut down the ratio and skewed it more heavily towards screens when the 4 came out.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:14 PM   #128
Larry-K
macrumors 6502a

Wow, who picked those colors?
Larry-K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:15 PM   #129
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
Having repaired numerous 3G and 3GS in my life time, let me take a second and laugh at this statement.

Brittle, scuffed and hairline cracks. Choose one. I replaced tons of rear shells in addition to screens.
Compare and contrast with the super premium polycarbonate material Nokia uses for the Lumia 920. I swear the stuff feels like silk.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:17 PM   #130
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
But wait.....

I have a theory:

iPhone5c is not for china or ceramic or cheap as some have described.

I suspect it is for CARBON. Position this as a carbon fiber shell and it will sell like hotcakes.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:52 PM   #131
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post

Brittle, scuffed and hairline cracks. Choose one. I replaced tons of rear shells in addition to screens. Surprisingly, the jump to a glass back cut down the ratio and skewed it more heavily towards screens when the 4 came out.
Well I hadn't heard of this but thanks for keeping in mind that not everyone takes care of their phones the same way.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:53 PM   #132
theanonymousbob
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
Let me guess, a bunch of you still believe there is no "low-cost" iPhone coming out right?
I believe the product exists. I am skeptical that it will be lower-cost, though.
theanonymousbob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:21 PM   #133
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

couple theories:

1. Colors look like crap because they're being taken pictures of using some low quality camera AND they're probably neon to support iOS 7. It'll sell like hotcakes still most likely

2. This is China's slap on Apple. They probably purposely leaked this. Funny again, why doesn't Chinese government just handle this situation themselves instead of calling on companies to do it? Make it illegal you dimwits including your own product manufacturing. Oh wait, they're afraid all factories will leave China and workers will be left with nothing. Slap on foreign companies nothing more.

3. People keep mentioning cheap, worthless, bad construction. Keep in mind that Apple isn't releasing htis to appease the American public. Furthermore, the iphone 4 and 4s are actually a drag on Apple's bottom line. They have to keep assembly lines on for these old products using glass backs and 3.5" screens. By bringing a cheap iphone in and pricing it in the iphone 4 range (free on contract and $450) they can actually make more money, bring more people to the 4" ecosystem, and save some on the manufacturing side since the ipod touch/iphone 5 both use the same stuff.

4. Nobody knows what Steve Jobs would've done.
FrozenDarkness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:59 PM   #134
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
1. Colors look like crap because they're being taken pictures of using some low quality camera
But they're neon green and yellow and pink.

No amount of fit and finish, velvety smoothness, flattering light or Jony Ive anal-retentiveness is going to remove the instant association to Nickelodeon green slime, My Little Pony, 80's graffiti, Teletubbies, Angelyne, Skittles, Barbie, Divine, Fresh Prince and Paris Hilton's Prada bag chihuahua.
Anuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:31 PM   #135
MacMilligan
macrumors 6502

Watch this be the iPhone 5S :P
MacMilligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:06 PM   #136
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanonymousbob View Post
I believe the product exists. I am skeptical that it will be lower-cost, though.
It deff won't be any less than like $450
newyorksole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:23 PM   #137
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
It is quite possible the second hand market will take a hit with this; however, there were other speculations going around that the internals would likely be from the 4S. My understanding is that there will be some downgrade in specs.
While that may be true, for most casual users it makes no difference as long as it's an iPhone and can do at least a bare minimum few functions. They will feel better buying a $300 on warranty for 1 year than a used one from someone on Craigslist or eBay where they aren't sure what issues the phone has and no recourses if its found to be defective later.

This is good news for people buying second hand though, because most sellers will be pressured now to drop prices.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:58 PM   #138
franciscosjb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
Poor employees? You realize these people choose to work at Pegatron, right? It's not as if they're being held against their will. They can work there and if they don't like it, there are thousands of other factories in the region that are hiring. The moralizing by these labor rights groups is, on the one hand, admirable, but on the other, horribly ignorant of the realities of life in emerging economies.
China an Emerging economy?????

China is the number one economy around the world at this time!! now thats being ignorant.

Life here began Out There
franciscosjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:47 PM   #139
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaki View Post
Why don't you work there?
I don't live in China...
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:42 PM   #140
xmichaelp
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
The important thing: poor working conditions exist where iPhones are being manufactured and workers may be suffering.

What people actually care about: OMG THERE'S DEFINITELY A PLASTIC IPHONE COMING OUT.

Oh gee, you're the first person to say they "care" in this thread, you must be such a great person!

Look, I'm sure everyone cares, but it isn't exactly breaking news neither is apple the only one who does it, we're accustomed to hearing about it. This is an apple rumor site, naturally people are going to react to rumors about apple products.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahalla View Post
These look worth $20 not a penny more.
For what, the case?

You do realize there will be a full phone in there, probably equal to the iPhone 5 specs, right?

Comments like these are mind-numbingly stupid.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Yep I understand it and yep, a machine could do it and cheaply.
Obviously you don't. Why would a company like Apple opt for the more expensive option?
xmichaelp is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:18 AM   #141
cleanup
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
2. This is China's slap on Apple. They probably purposely leaked this. Funny again, why doesn't Chinese government just handle this situation themselves instead of calling on companies to do it? Make it illegal you dimwits including your own product manufacturing. Oh wait, they're afraid all factories will leave China and workers will be left with nothing. Slap on foreign companies nothing more.
What on earth are you talking about? What does the Chinese government have to gain by asking a factory to take photos of pieces of plastic that have no grand political or economic importance?

And no, foreign manufacturing will never leave China because neither the Chinese nor the companies who invest here would benefit from such an idiotic move.
cleanup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:03 AM   #142
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

how was he able to talk about an unreleased product this freely.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:56 AM   #143
praterkeith
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
I've had a brief look over your previous posts and you do come across as extremely cynical.

And nay I request you stop with the 'Steve would never have ...' posts. They're just insulting at this point.
I agree. And the (c)heap comments are getting old too. Simply don't buy the damn thing.
praterkeith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:26 AM   #144
Serban
macrumors 68030

I think the future for Apple is already known by all of us with upcoming plastic macbook air/imac/macbook pro, with plastic ipod touch and ipad.

The iphone 5C is just the beginning
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:59 AM   #145
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

To all who are OCD, that plastic colored case will scratch VERY easy.
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:08 PM   #146
xdxdaustin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
Oh stop!Yer killin' me!And soooo original too!
Really necessary buddy. There's no need for unwarranted rudeness.
xdxdaustin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:13 PM   #147
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdxdaustin View Post
Really necessary buddy. There's no need for unwarranted rudeness.
There's no need for these ridiculous stupid idiotic comments to be posted hundreds of times.My rudeness was totally warranted.Sorry if some comedian gets his widdle feewings hurt.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:40 PM   #148
xdxdaustin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
There's no need for these ridiculous stupid idiotic comments to be posted hundreds of times.My rudeness was totally warranted.Sorry if some comedian gets his widdle feewings hurt.
On a forum, everyone has a right to respectfully voice their views and thoughts. You need to stop being so rude. Theres no reason for it. Period. Would you just walk up to some random guy on the street and start being rude? No. Same rules apply.
xdxdaustin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:59 PM   #149
TelevisionTV
macrumors newbie

iPod Touch

Nobody else thinks this is probably a new iPod touch?
TelevisionTV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:13 PM   #150
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
What on earth are you talking about? What does the Chinese government have to gain by asking a factory to take photos of pieces of plastic that have no grand political or economic importance?

And no, foreign manufacturing will never leave China because neither the Chinese nor the companies who invest here would benefit from such an idiotic move.
let me describe it to you easily. The Chinese government wants to control Apple, Pegatron is not a Chinese company. So isn't Foxconn, they're both Taiwanese companies. China has a history of twisting arms in order to further their interest.

And foreign manufacturing is already leaving China. America and China's recent push for better workers rights have already seen some minor manufacturing leaving China for America and the Phillipines. YOu might ask why would the chinese government want this, what do they have to gain? read my comment again, they will never call out their own national companies for human rights violation. getting rid of foreign manufacturers gives their own stuff a competitive advantage.
FrozenDarkness is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion