Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
I was watching the new Trailer for Grand Theft Auto 5,

and exactly at about :58 you can clearly see a iMac on the desk, silver all in one, black bezel, bottom dock icons, and what looks to be the calender app open, even the wireless keyboard, but the mouse looks to be a Microsoft Optical mouse, strange, but knowing Rockstar, they usually put a lot into satiring businesses and companies, mayhaps we see some more satirized Apple products in the rest of the game? Commercials on the radio stations and what not? Lets hope so :p

----------

Oh and heres a link to the video to see for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGPMaluco

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2012
The popular GTA V screenshot of a girl with a phone in the hand, if you look closelly, it's an iPhone

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
And the satire is where?

I was wondering the same thing.. and I was thinking maybe I am missing an alternate definition of the word? :confused:

Here's a screen shot of the iMac
Screen%20Shot%202012-11-21%20at%2011.52.27%20AM.png

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
satire |ˈsaˌtīr|
noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. See wit1.
• a play, novel, film, or other work that uses satire: a stinging satire on American politics.
• a genre of literature characterized by the use of satire.
• (in Latin literature) a literary miscellany, esp. a poem ridiculing prevalent vices or follies.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
The word you're looking for is homage, I think.

Okay I may have picked my words wrong, but I have no doubt there will be some satirizing in the game. I have played every single GTA game that has ever come out and so far I have seen two instances of the Apple logo, that commercial and the bikini girl wallpaper holding what looks like a iphone 4 and if I read it correctly it says "iFruit"

Rockstar doesn't put that much effort to make homages, their entire games are based on satire, most explicitely american culture, and Apple is definatly part of the American culture. I bet you anything will see some of the radio station advertisements, maybe even some missions like robbing a Apple store or something like that.

I will have to bump this when 5 officially comes out.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Is not satire, nor an homage, its a PARODY. They appear on many of the GTA games.

http://gta.wikia.com/Fruit_Computers
Fruit Computers (parody of Apple Computers) is a computer, phone and software manufacturing company in Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and GTA V as seen in a prerelease artwork. According to their warehouse in Port Tudor, Fruit Computers was established in 1975; one year before its parody, Apple actually became an independent company. Their logo bears a resemblance to male genitals. The logo's color scheme also parodies the Microsoft Windows logo color scheme (with the exception of red being changed to orange).
Fruit_Computers_logo_2008.png

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
That's not a new thing. They've done that in other GTA games in the past.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
It's a parody of the company (probably because Apple doesn't want to be in the game/Rockstar doesn't want to give them advertisement) which in terms is a type of satire, but nothing bad (or good) is really being said about them. GTA likes to parody all the real-world going one at the time the games are set, like in GTA IV they have the all new Fruit Phone (Since it's set in 2008, when the iPhone was still a relatively new device), and that picture and trailer shot are just showing that GTA V is reflecting modern times.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.