Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Out of interest which Roku are you using? I am very interested to try one but in the UK only Roku 2 is available and not 3. Also from what i've read the picture quality is inferior on netflix and the UI for netflix not so good.

Would you recommend Roku over ATV? Does Roku have the post play feature?

Cheers
Roku 2 HDMI (high end). Roku is easier to use. To me the pitch for Apple TV is simply access to the ecosystem and nothing more. If you have an iTunes library on any connected device, want to send video from your phone or pad via airplay or just love Apple more than your own children, then yes.

Otherwise Roku. The UI is better on R2 NF than on ATV NF for sure. R2/3 has many more channels. Many, many.

Both very cheap. Buying both is trivial.

Rocketman

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
And in that particular case, I suspect the combination of Roku and Plex may be even better than Apple's solution.
But you can utilize Plex on the ATV, too. You can do it via AirPlay or via a hack (not requiring a jailbreak) which hijacks the Movie Trailers app (I haven't tried that yet).

axisdrama

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Cartoon and Unfortunate It's Limited to DVD Users

It's unfortunate that this is currently limited to users who set up profiles using Netflix's DVD service. It doesn't seem to currently allow streaming customers the ability to set up profiles -- something I'd love to do to separate the movie lists for my wife and me and my the lists for my 7 year old daughter.

This article, for some reason, inspired me to create a little cartoon: http://technewshound.com/2013/07/netflix-shows-its-many-profiles-to-apple-tv Enjoy :)

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Has anyone used this? Can you select two profiles at the same time. For instance, if my wife watches gossip girl in the morning and I watch fringe at night, I would love if netflix understood the difference of who was watching - BUT - if we then both watch house of cards the next day, will it only show up as watched on a single profile?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Has anyone used this? Can you select two profiles at the same time. For instance, if my wife watches gossip girl in the morning and I watch fringe at night, I would love if netflix understood the difference of who was watching - BUT - if we then both watch house of cards the next day, will it only show up as watched on a single profile?

you are making it way too complicated
its separate viewing profiles per account with age restrictions. each profile gets better custom recommendations than before. every profile has its own instant queue and whatever you watch stays in that profile

TRMN8R

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Kingston, ON
Video Quality in new profiles

Not really an Apple TV problem, but a Netflix problem. The HDtoggle settings on Netflix keep defaulting back to Best setting for the new profiles. This is causing me to burn through data very quickly. The original profile is set to "Good" and is holding that setting. Anyone else experiencing this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.