Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I get this question a lot, and ask myself the same thing. But to those of you like myself that have deflected to Android, would you have stayed with iPhone/iOS if Steve Jobs were still running the show?

That's a tough question for me to answer personally because I feel like the current iPhone would have offered a little more innovation, and less bugs. However Samsung came swinging hard this year! However, if Jobs were still around I don't know that I would have deflected. :cool:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Honestly I think that iOS and the iPhone are more likely to head in the direction I want to see now that SJ is gone. That's no dig on him. He was a genius and I am an apple fan. I think he truly did have a lot to do with the amazing tech we've been seeing for the last couple decades. But he had his flaws, and I think without him, some other people at apple have a chance to show their stuff now. I have high hopes for iOS 7 and 8. If they turn out to be meager updates, well, no huge loss. But I'd love to see iOS shift a bit to embrace the more hardcore users again, and I think that is a bigger possibility without Steve at the helm.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The man is dead, time to move on.

Fair enough, and now that I think about it, this thread could have been done slightly differently. This could almost almost be taken as a "Would Apple be the same now if Jobs were still around?" However, I am just curious if others out there think that that the iPhone 5 would have been a little more innovative had Jobs been around. Does it even matter? Maybe. Have I moved on? I own 2 Android phones, so I'd say so. Just curious really.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Fair enough, and now that I think about it, this thread could have been done slightly differently. This could almost almost be taken as a "Would Apple be the same now if Jobs were still around?" However, I am just curious if others out there think that that the iPhone 5 would have been a little more innovative had Jobs been around. Does it even matter? Maybe. Have I moved on? I own 2 Android phones, so I'd say so. Just curious really.
I believe Apple is seriously challenged to keep up the pace they've set based on very aggressive goals to dominate the market. With the huge growth in manufacturing & sales volume, it seems that something must change if they have any hope of maintaining decent quality control.

Then to further add to their work load, they seem obsessed with litigation. That type of negative energy only drains them. Who knows what 2013 will bring.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Honestly I think that iOS and the iPhone are more likely to head in the direction I want to see now that SJ is gone. That's no dig on him. He was a genius and I am an apple fan. I think he truly did have a lot to do with the amazing tech we've been seeing for the last couple decades. But he had his flaws, and I think without him, some other people at apple have a chance to show their stuff now. I have high hopes for iOS 7 and 8. If they turn out to be meager updates, well, no huge loss. But I'd love to see iOS shift a bit to embrace the more hardcore users again, and I think that is a bigger possibility without Steve at the helm.

This. Agree.

Just read that Wsj is reporting that Apple is cutting supply orders for the iphone 5 by half due to weak demand. Such a report makes the above post all the more relevant.

Despite what some people think of me, I'm a huge Apple fan. Would really not want to see them possibly go down.

Last edited:

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't know about you guys, but the biggest reason I've been looking to switch from the iPhone is screen size. If a larger iPhone (but no more than five inches) came along, I'd probably not bother with the hassle of switching (customisation and spec whoring don't really appeal to me). Steve was strongly opposed to anything that restricted one hand use, but now he's not there, who knows?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't know about you guys, but the biggest reason I've been looking to switch from the iPhone is screen size. If a larger iPhone (but no more than five inches) came along, I'd probably not bother with the hassle of switching (customisation and spec whoring don't really appeal to me). Steve was strongly opposed to anything that restricted one hand use, but now he's not there, who knows?
I used to think one handed use was a big deal(though it is convenient). But the larger screen on my S3 is sure hard to beat. Web browsing, videos, games, etc...look so much better on a bigger screen. Apple needs to make a larger screened phone, and then their typical one to appeal to both people. I have over 250 apps on my iPad with a majority of them being for iPhone. I'd switch back to iPhone in a heartbeat if they made a 5" or so iPhone. Android is great but the selling point for me was the hardware, and overall screen size.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Don't you guys think Apple is going a downhill slope since Jobs gone? Not to say there was any problems prior to his death, like Antenna-gate, but in 2012 some critical problems like Maps and such arose. I know most people saying the "Steve is dead, move on" stuff, but I'll like to think that things will indeed be different if he was around making sure certain things are in place or of decent quality before being released to the public.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Don't you guys think Apple is going a downhill slope since Jobs gone? Not to say there was any problems prior to his death, like Antenna-gate, but in 2012 some critical problems like Maps and such arose. I know most people saying the "Steve is dead, move on" stuff, but I'll like to think that things will indeed be different if he was around making sure certain things are in place or of decent quality before being released to the public.

I wouldn't call the maps problem critical, anennagate was a much bigger issue than a maps app. Lets not also forget MobileMe which was just as bad if not worse than maps. I don't see Apple being that much different than they were.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Steve Jobs was heavily involved in the designing and making of the iPhone 5, it would have probably been the same.

I've also heard that he was working on it until the day before he passed. However, how much of that is true, and how much of it is marketing?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Dude, just buy an ipad mini and install skype.

No weenie 5" screen for you man, 7" is where it's at.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Dude, just buy an ipad mini and install skype.

No weenie 5" screen for you man, 7" is where it's at.

This argument is dead. In the last six months the iPhone got bigger and the iPad got smaller. Apple is starting to yield to customer demands. People, even apple enthusiasts, are starting to spend their money elsewhere. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. Apple will go to at least 4.5 inch screens. Maybe not this year, but sooner than later. They don't really have a choice anymore. I'd bet anything that the Board is up in arms over Apple's inability to even keep up in the very market they created a mere 5 years ago.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Apple's inability to even keep up in the very market they created a mere 5 years ago.

Actually it's been 6. The iPhone 5 is actually the 6th iPhone, and was originally announced in Jan of 2007, and released in June of that same year. No biggie, I'm just being nit picky lol. :p

Last edited:

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Did you stop watching Star Trek after Gene Roddenberry died ?

Captain Archer would have never ruined the Enterprise if Gene was still here. #geekout

Seriously, though... The Apple diehards really need to let Steve go and realize that APPLE isn't STEVE. The way they talk about him / think about him is nearly worship-like. He was a man. Other men can pick up where he left off and make good decisions too.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I don't think that things would've been that different with Jobs around. The core company culture and goals have not changed that much yet.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Actually it's been 6 1/2 years(almost 7). The iPhone 5 is actually the 6th iPhone, and was originally announced in Jan of 2007, and released in June of that same year. No biggie, I'm just being nit picky lol. :p
Then perhaps you should have gotten it right. :D

The iPhone was only announced a little more than 6 years ago, and did not ship till the end of June, 2007.

Michael

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Then perhaps you should have gotten it right. :D

The iPhone was only announced a little more than 6 years ago, and did not ship till the end of June, 2007.

Michael
lol you are correct, not sure why my math was so off on this one! :p

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I get this question a lot, and ask myself the same thing. But to those of you like myself that have deflected to Android, would you have stayed with iPhone/iOS if Steve Jobs were still running the show?

That's a tough question for me to answer personally because I feel like the current iPhone would have offered a little more innovation, and less bugs. However Samsung came swinging hard this year! However, if Jobs were still around I don't know that I would have deflected. :cool:

No because jobs told the biggest load of bull "the iphone is the perfect size, there will never be a larger screen size on an iphone. "

I left for that particular purpose, well initially.

He won't let my phone be under my control. I saw what I was missing and I jumped ship.

I have an ipod touch for the few apps I'd miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.