Nexus 4. Good first android device? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Sep 1, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Nexus 4. Good first android device?

Hi,

I'm thinking about giving android a try and am wondering if an unlocked nexus 4 would be a good device despite its age. It's certainly the right price so if I end up not liking the platform I haven't sunk 700 into it.

I'm coming from a 3GS so am used to older phones

Thanks.
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking about giving android a try and am wondering if an unlocked nexus 4 would be a good device despite its age. It's certainly the right price so if I end up not liking the platform I haven't sunk 700 into it.

I'm coming from a 3GS so am used to older phones

Thanks.
I still think mine is great, and have recommended it to a couple more people since the recent price drop.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 06:50 PM   #3
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

I've got a Nexus4, great little phone for what it is and I would recommend for screen size/quality and overall price.

My only gripe with the phone is the back, it breaks pretty easily and I'm not that tough on phones either.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I'm still waiting to see what apple brings out but would like a larger screen so android is looking more and more likely.

The fact it's cheap and will do me until i see what the iphone 6 has offer is an added bonus. I'm tempted by the galaxy S4 though...love that screen.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Explicitic
macrumors Demi-God

The only downside I can see is you will be spoiled with vanilla Android and won't be able to use anything but that in any future Android devices you may purchase.
Explicitic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:31 PM   #6
jaw04005
macrumors 601

It's a good phone, but it's almost a year old. I'd wait until the Nexus 5 comes out. It'll be cheap also (as that's one of the major goals of the Nexus program).
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 01:16 AM   #7
dazed
macrumors 6502a

ok, ive been reading the 5 should be out in a month or so so i'll keep that in mind for sure.

I think i'll be quite happy with a vanilla android, i just need a phone with a larger screen, not all the gimmicks samsung throws into their phones.

even if i went for a S4, id be tempted with the google play edition rather than the samsung one.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:17 AM   #8
mizaco
Banned

Absolutly. Nexus 4 will give you THE BEST Android experience. Highly recommended for the first time user.

However, today the Moto X is available. So as of today the MotoX is the best experience you can have with the Android. And the hardware is superb I tell ya.
mizaco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:40 AM   #9
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a

Hi. I just ordered a nexus 4 after iPhones since the first one. I don't have any major issues with my iphone4 as a device. It's just it's dying now, I don't want to sign a new contract (got a good paygo deal) so want to buy phone upfront. I was hoping for the "lower cost" iPhone that didnt really happen (not knocking apple. I'm sure the 5c will do very well.) it's just my circumstances don't allow me to pay 469 for a new phone. I started looking around (second hand 5, 4s etc) and saw the nexus 4 for 199.

I just happened to sell an old MacBook for 200 so took it as a sign!!!!

Nervous about how I am going to get on with android after years of iOS. But I figured if I don't try I'll never know.

I even took to writing down what I use my phone for most and figured out if it can be done on android. So far, yes. My only worry is iMessage as most of my friends and family are on iPhones. I'm sure other things will come to light that I will miss but similarly I will discover features of android that I find better than iOS!

Anyway. Wish me luck.
chimpboy74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:24 AM   #10
indeyxzq
macrumors newbie

even if i went for a S4, id be tempted with the google play edition rather than the samsung one. [img]http://www.********/usa/images/4.gif[/img]
indeyxzq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:59 AM   #11
notjustjay
macrumors 603

I have also been tempted by the Nexus 4 (or 5, or whatever other Google Play Edition phones will be available to me in Canada).

We all knew what to expect from the iPhone 5S, and while I'm sure I'd be happy with it, that same $719 (unlocked 16 GB in Canada) can buy a whole lot of Android phone. I'm torn...
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Failurbydesign
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpboy74 View Post
Hi. I just ordered a nexus 4 after iPhones since the first one. I don't have any major issues with my iphone4 as a device. It's just it's dying now, I don't want to sign a new contract (got a good paygo deal) so want to buy phone upfront. I was hoping for the "lower cost" iPhone that didnt really happen (not knocking apple. I'm sure the 5c will do very well.) it's just my circumstances don't allow me to pay 469 for a new phone. I started looking around (second hand 5, 4s etc) and saw the nexus 4 for 199.

I just happened to sell an old MacBook for 200 so took it as a sign!!!!

Nervous about how I am going to get on with android after years of iOS. But I figured if I don't try I'll never know.

I even took to writing down what I use my phone for most and figured out if it can be done on android. So far, yes. My only worry is iMessage as most of my friends and family are on iPhones. I'm sure other things will come to light that I will miss but similarly I will discover features of android that I find better than iOS!

Anyway. Wish me luck.
The stock android experience is the best! I went from android phones to iOS because I was always flashing custom roms to get a better performance. Glad to see Google is offering on multiple devices now!
Failurbydesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:26 PM   #13
patseguin
macrumors 65816

Only gripe with mine is no LTE. Other than that a great Android phone.
patseguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:54 AM   #14
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

I think it's an amazing phone. Had mine for almost seven months now and have been using it without a case since day one. I've never been afraid the glass will break.

It's the fastest phone I have ever used. Never any lag.
JackieInCo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:11 PM   #15
w00d
macrumors member

I have a Nexus 4. I prefer it over the iPhone 5 except for the camera. For the price you can't beat it. $200 USD right now straight from Google. No contract. Screen is awesome. Fast!
w00d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:44 PM   #16
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

From what I've heard the Nexus 4 had just sold out permanently on Google Play. Didn't get to catch that insane $199 off-contract price, but hopefully the Nexus 5 will be coming soon.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:55 PM   #17
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
I haven't used a Nexus device, but I would go with a Google device for sure, vanilla Android all the way.

I switched to Android when the Note 2 came out and within a few months I had flashed a ROM. Nothing exactly "wrong" with TouchWiz, but when you're coming from iOS where everything is just so slick and refined, things really stand out to you.

Even now I still miss iOS, and iOS 7 has pretty much won me back. Now just to wait out the contract on this Note 2...

For someone who wants to "try Android" I'd say you can't go wrong with Nexus. If it's the hardware you want, don't stress about what OS it's running and just flash the ROM you want to use. Easy fix!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:23 PM   #18
Crikey
macrumors 6502

I first read the thrread title as, "Nexus 4, first good Android device?"
Crikey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:21 PM   #19
theuserjohnny
macrumors 6502

Yeah for the price it's a great phone, I love mine!
Google Nexus 4 16GB
theuserjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice