Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Another reason is because the Mercedes-Benz case housing my hackintosh (in my signature) arrived all smashed up (including the box) by UPS, I had to RMA the case which set me back another week back in building this machine. But I'd still prefer them over USPS anytime.
UPS has what's called PSC (Package Service Center). That's where any damaged package or packages missing labels go. PSC is authorized to open packages and look for any identifying info, relabel and send on. In the case of damaged packages they file a report and the remains get shipped on. About all they can do. Not much they can do for you if your letter got shredded, your glass items ground into fine dust or something similar. If your package comes with a heavy amount of tape around it, it probably went through PSC.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Phew! What a day!

My iBook was missent a town over. I had a feeling this would happen. It wasn't the first time either. So after two failed attempts at contacting my local facility I phoned the facility the package was supposedly sitting at. Finally I got good service. The lady searched for the package and promptly called me back to deliver the good news that it was sitting in my mail carriers Jeep waiting to be delivered. Apparently the mail clerk who signed in my package has an ID associated with the town over. In conclusion, USPS tracking is very inaccurate, and this confirms that.

I am no longer complaining, however. I can't believe how wonderful this machine runs. My Brother-In-Law was stunned how clean and new it looks. It's 7 years old and barely looks a half a year old. My Mom was jealous. She has fond memories of the white 2009 Macbooks and thought this was just as attractive. And I am just overjoyed. I could care less for my hackintosh running OS X Mountain Lion now. I've always had a sweet spot for Leopard anyways (and will never forget how beautiful Tiger was).

You're going to like Leopard and it should perform well on your iBook. My PowerBook with slightly better specs runs it flawlessly and I enjoy using it with a passion.

It's my first Mac as well :D

Yeah, the early days of eBay were like fighting through the jungle. Pleanty of abuse and virtually no recourse when you got screwed.

I use Fluid to access iCloud, but I truly don't even use it very much.

Ahh yes I've used fluid before. Though I am using SOHO Organizer and Mail.App to integrate iCloud.

I just remembered. . .between the time the Wall Street and Lombard PowerBooks were released, there was an entire family somewhere in the Deep South that was these PowerBooks on eBay and other outlets, through their several accounts. Back then, it was unusual for a buyer to offer a sale without first receiving payment, though this often did occur.

Anyway, the Clampets required advanced payment for their PowerBooks. Sadly, I was one of their victims. They offered a discount, but not very steep. I don't know how it happened -- whether I contacted them or they became aware of me -- but I spoke to an upper level FBI agent about my situation. He told me that the theft, resale, and phony offering of PowerBooks was one of the biggest "white collar" crimes in terms of goods and services at that time. He also told me that the Clampets would frequently deliver a single PowerBook to buyers who ordered more than one. He later referred me to Apple's Head of Security who confirmed what the agent told me. Unfortunately, I never recovered my payment.

At that time, the popular belief was that if you bought something through eBay, you'd be protected in the event you got screwed. Thousands of us found out the hard way that this was not the case. As I wrote earlier, eBay took no responsibility for any kind of losses, including outright theft. Fact is, this family remained on eBay despite the fact that the FBI was tracking them.

Unbelievable.

Yikes. People are sick! eBay is so much better now.

My brother-in-law told me about how eBay is actively suspending accounts caught selling accounts now. Apparently too many have used password recovery to gain access back and resell. And then eBay has to pay for it.

----------

UPS has what's called PSC (Package Service Center). That's where any damaged package or packages missing labels go. PSC is authorized to open packages and look for any identifying info, relabel and send on. In the case of damaged packages they file a report and the remains get shipped on. About all they can do. Not much they can do for you if your letter got shredded, your glass items ground into fine dust or something similar. If your package comes with a heavy amount of tape around it, it probably went through PSC.

Good to know, thanks. I can't remember if my Mercedes-Benz case had been taped up or not. I do remember a massive dent on top of the package.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Almost finished setting things up. :D :D :apple:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    969.3 KB · Views: 78

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I can't believe how wonderful this machine runs. My Brother-In-Law was stunned how clean and new it looks. It's 7 years old and barely looks a half a year old. My Mom was jealous. She has fond memories of the white 2009 Macbooks and thought this was just as attractive. And I am just overjoyed. I could care less for my hackintosh running OS X Mountain Lion now. I've always had a sweet spot for Leopard anyways (and will never forget how beautiful Tiger was).

Good for you. I pretty much felt the same way when I got my iBook.

What you describe encapsulates why I and others so much enjoy these rigs. If you've never had one, it's nearly impossible to know.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Good for you. I pretty much felt the same way when I got my iBook.

What you describe encapsulates why I and others so much enjoy these rigs. If you've never had one, it's nearly impossible to know.

It makes you wish Apple kept PowerPC and the white polycarbonate MacBook. Or better yet, the iBook :D

Seriously. If this was a dual core, it would smoke my Core 2 Duo. Instead, it performs comparatively. I can only imagine how those dual (or even quad) G5's run Leopard..

So far I have installed Scroll Reverser for natural scrolling like in Lion, SOHO Organizer for iCloud contacts and calender, Skim for annotation of PDF's akin to Lion (Leopard Preview is missing text functionality) and I've setup two finger scrolling, tapping, and right clicking via two finger tap. Spaces are on and hot corners are setup for expose. Top right shows the desktop, bottom right shows expose, bottom left shows application windows.

I put a santa hat on the finder but its not showing up yet despite the two reboots I've done today.

Here's a couple of pics as promised :D

Attachments

• 100_5646.JPG
    100_5646.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 100_5648.JPG
    100_5648.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
It makes you wish Apple kept PowerPC and the white polycarbonate MacBook. Or better yet, the iBook :D

Seriously. If this was a dual core, it would smoke my Core 2 Duo. Instead, it performs comparatively. I can only imagine how those dual (or even quad) G5's run Leopard..

So far I have installed Scroll Reverser for natural scrolling like in Lion, SOHO Organizer for iCloud contacts and calender, Skim for annotation of PDF's akin to Lion (Leopard Preview is missing text functionality) and I've setup two finger scrolling, tapping, and right clicking via two finger tap. Spaces are on and hot corners are setup for expose. Top right shows the desktop, bottom right shows expose, bottom left shows application windows.

I put a santa hat on the finder but its not showing up yet despite the two reboots I've done today.

These rigs are beauties when they're kept clean and in good repair. Hope you enjoy tinkering with it as much as I have.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

Wow that's in very good condition. There's something much more fun finding old macs and using them then new ones.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
nice ibook

Thanks,

Wow that's in very good condition. There's something much more fun finding old macs and using them then new ones.

I'll say.

To me it's because Apple was truly different in the PowerPC era. While I still love OS X and Mac's above all else, it feels like Apple is moving on. The Mac isn't the main thing anymore :( and these older Macs are back when Apple was still fighting for marketshare.

IDK, maybe its just my perception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.