Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into purchasing an iPad Mini in the near future, however I'm somewhat undecided as to whether I should wait until the next one comes out or not. The supposedly upgraded retina screen should would be nice to have, although I'd be pretty happy with the current one (I've never had retina devices to spoil my perspective ;) ). What I'm more interested in knowing, however, is if it will have an A6 processor/upgraded RAM, leaving it spec-wise on par with the normal-sized iPad, or if Apple will purposefully keep it a bit lower specced, like the relation between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

So, what do you think?

Cheers

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
It will more than likely always be a little less powerful than the full sized iPad to keep the cost down. Of course no one here will know for sure since we aren't allowed access to Apple's R&D building.

If you want one now, do it. You'll easily be able to recoup most of the cost if you want to upgrade later.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into purchasing an iPad Mini in the near future, however I'm somewhat undecided as to whether I should wait until the next one comes out or not. The supposedly upgraded retina screen should would be nice to have, although I'd be pretty happy with the current one (I've never had retina devices to spoil my perspective ;) ). What I'm more interested in knowing, however, is if it will have an A6 processor/upgraded RAM, leaving it spec-wise on par with the normal-sized iPad, or if Apple will purposefully keep it a bit lower specced, like the relation between the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

So, what do you think?

Cheers
I think *if*, big IF, new one in March. It will have A6 and no Retina.

September/Oct next year? It'll have a die shrunk A5X or A6X and maybe retina.

There is less room for battery, the primary reason it will lag in spec, is not artificial to differentiate it. It's due to battery capacity and trying to maintain the 10hr battery life.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think *if*, big IF, new one in March. It will have A6 and no Retina.

September/Oct next year? It'll have a die shrunk A5X or A6X and maybe retina.

There is less room for battery, the primary reason it will lag in spec, is not artificial to differentiate it. It's due to battery capacity and trying to maintain the 10hr battery life.

This, with next year referring to this year, I assume.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
the A5x has 2x the graphics power of the A5 and it can power the retina display.
Well the A6 also has that magic 2x number.

I'm thinking the next iPad mini will have a plain vanilla A6 chip in it, and a retina display.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
the A5x has 2x the graphics power of the A5 and it can power the retina display.
Well the A6 also has that magic 2x number.

I'm thinking the next iPad mini will have a plain vanilla A6 chip in it, and a retina display.

But then it would run far worse than the iPhone 5 does with the same chip, and even more worse than the iPad 4...

I think they would have to go to A6X at least if they put a retina display inside it.

Just how I feel they should do it! I could understand them doing A6 with non-retina, and A6X later with retina. We'll see!

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
March is the full size iPad's time in the spotlight with a redesign, iPad mini will get a speed bump. Then in the fall the full size iPad gets a speed bump and the mini goes retina!

I think its pretty straightforward...

March for iPad mini will be:

A6
1GB RAM
Non retina

Fall will be:

A6X
1GB RAM
Retina

March for iPad 5 will be:

A6X
2GB RAM
Updated streamlined design like mini

Fall for iPad will be:

A7X
2GB RAM

In other words iPad 4 owners are going to feel more disappointed come march than iPad mini owners...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.