Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMike97

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
New York
I currently have the iPhone 4S in White and I am really considering getting the iPhone 5 in Black & Slate. To those who have iPhone 5, what phone did you have before? To the people who had the 4S and upgraded to the 5, was it worth it?

Thank you!

AndersOlson

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I upgraded from the 4s and I resonantly think it was a great upgrade. I love the new bigger screen and the performance is amazing. I do a lot of reading and YouTube watching on my phone so the extra screen real estate is perfect for me. I'd say upgrade, you won't be sorry.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I had a white 4S and upgraded to a black iPhone 5 and love it. Might not notice a big speed increase but I love the bigger screen and LTE.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
i had a 4s in black & upgraded to the ip5 in white. love it.
it's lighter, faster, and well....that's all i can notice..lol.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
I upgraded from the 4.... which means I didn't have ANY of the features provided by iOS 6. So yeah. Big jump for me. The only thing I see is a bump in performance, LTE and a larger screen between the 4S and 5. It's up to you.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Indeed! I had the 4s--my wife the 4. They released the iPhone 5 close to my birthday...my wife 'gave' me her update in exchange for my 4s. I sold the iPhone 4 locally for a nice chunk off the price of the 5. It's undeniably the best, fastest, 'best screen', and the LTE is really, really thick icing on the cake. Easily the best iPhone yet. The speed difference in error correction while typing is one of the things I notice most. Seems like it never misses.
Launching apps, switching between, app installs, load times, camera operation...everything seems a bit quicker. Obviously the bulk of available apps are designed around and for the A4/5 processors, so the perceived speed increase I suppose was a given...especially considering the CPU and GPU upgrades. The other thing I've noticed...both on my new iPhone and the iPad 4-- I use 'The Early Edition' as my RSS reader/newspaper every morning. I canceled my local paper subscription about three months after buying the original iPad at launch. I've used EE since then. I'm on version 2 right now. The iPad 3 and iPhone 4S both took about 35-40 seconds to fetch the material, organize and 'publish' the paper. My iPad 5 with the same 94 feeds takes just about 5 seconds to compile. The 4s, maybe six or seven seconds. Un. Believable!! Again, this is as 'real world' as it gets for me. I've also noticed considerably better iTunes 'match' performance, significantly faster downloads and storage of off line music d/l on Spotify. Just little differences, especially rendering, shooting and manipulating photos and video. The performance of iMovie and iPhoto...as well as Avid and a half dozen other photo editing apps is amazing. Again both on the new iPad and iPhone. Comparing directly with the same exact LTE 64GB iPad 3 and white 64GB iPhone 4S.
It truly makes me laugh out loud when I read comments about the insignificance of the updates....especially the folks that are dismissing the iPad update. The iPhone is less subtle as it was a redesign. The iPad may as well have been. The A6 processing and updated GPU undoubtably makes the iPhone 4S to 5 update a worthwhile endeavor IF you're able to do it on subsidy. Don't pay the extra 250. There's a law of diminishing returns. The 4s still has significant value on the 'used' market. So if you're good to go for an upgrade, the sale of your 4s will wipe out your initial investment in the '5'.

You'll love it!

J

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I currently have the iPhone 4S in White and I am really considering getting the iPhone 5 in Black & Slate. To those who have iPhone 5, what phone did you have before? To the people who had the 4S and upgraded to the 5, was it worth it?

Thank you!

Are you able to wait next year for the 5S or 6? I have a 4S and it's still a very good functional phone.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Had a 4s in white also. I upgraded because I was able to change phones to a 5 and make it only cost me $5. If its going to cost you hundreds I wouldn't do it. I love the lte and the speed boost in CPU is noticeable to me.

I5acc

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
4s is look like an old phone in comparation with the i5 :) so yes buy the new one

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I upgraded from the 4.... which means I didn't have ANY of the features provided by iOS 6. So yeah. Big jump for me. The only thing I see is a bump in performance, LTE and a larger screen between the 4S and 5. It's up to you.

Same for me...jump from 4 to 5 (two generations) showed a big difference. Aside from the obvious change in screen size, LTE, Siri (if you care), speed, lighter, thinner...in short, a huge jump.:D

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011

Thank you!

Was on Sprint with a 4S, now Verizon on the 5, the LTE network was worth the switch if there were no other changes but I love the bigger screen and better camera. Yes it's worth it to me.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
The LTE is the biggest thing for me.... when your phone gets 30 Mbps... that's impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.