Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Perhaps they'll finally drop the suffix, and it'll just be iPhone. In a range of prices, and colours. All under the banner if 'The New iPhone'

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Perhaps they'll finally drop the suffix, and it'll just be iPhone. In a range of prices, and colours. All under the banner if 'The New iPhone'

I would maybe believe that if the iPad Mini had just been called the "iPad" (similar to how the MBA, MBP, and iMac all come in different sizes). But since they didn't take that route, I don't think it's possible they'll take that for the iPhone. Especially because it is much easier to differentiate the iPads (I'd like to look at the 8" iPad... I used to have a 10" iPad... etc). How would they do that with iPhones? "I'd like to get the cheaper iPhone"?? Apple would never want people to think of any iPhone as being cheap.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
The elitist mess in this thread is appalling. Most people can afford a $200 cell phone every two years. I think this is designed more for those going prepaid which is a growing market. You already have $99 iPhones on the carriers. This is for the full price buyers. Your average American cannot afford a $650 cell phone. Apple isn't the status symbol it used to be for the higher end. It's a mass market company that sells to the masses. They are out to make the most $ they can. Only pandering to the upper class doesn't accomplish that. Trust me, the projects are full of iPhones.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The elitist mess in this thread is appalling.

With due respect, put your self-righteous indignation back on the shelf and exercise your sense of humor a bit more. It seems to be a bit atrophied. :D

I think this is designed more for those going prepaid which is a growing market. [...] This is for the full price buyers.

Yes, though I'd suggest the target is more the global/emerging markets where the flagship iphones succumb to the lower end android phones due to cost. Consider the market potential in India and China vs. the prepaid market in the U.S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.