Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Apple's logic is that if you can afford a $300 item, you either already have a computer or can afford to buy a charger at any electronics store or buy Apple's extremely well designed and safe USB power adapter for $20. The OP's brother not having any Apple stuff is completely irrelevant. He's got a computer right?

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
I'am all for the environment but turning on a computer to charge an iPod is probably not the most efficient method(if thats all one wants to do) ,there are probably a million other better ways to save the environment before a few unused chargers tipping the balance.....Go turn that unused light out, turn all the standbys off etc etc and yes i'am sitting in the dark and all the unused electrical items are unplugged so i do try to practice what i preach :)

emphasis added

... zero sum equations have no place in saving the environment. A "better way" that is actually just "another way" doesn't replace the initial "way" which is limiting the number of chargers out there to just those that are needed.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
emphasis added

... zero sum equations have no place in saving the environment. A "better way" that is actually just "another way" doesn't replace the initial "way" which is limiting the number of chargers out there to just those that are needed.

LOL! Love it.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
emphasis added

I do not agree with you about the chargers but buying anything Apple should help the environment (compared to using a computer of shorter working life)as they have a good (useful) lifespan my first MBP 2006 is still working perfectly,my wife uses it now.
Edit; as is everything Apple i have purchased, hope i'am not tempting fate!

Last edited:

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
[ ] buying anything Apple should help the environment (compared to using a computer of shorter working life)as they have a good (useful) lifespan my first MBP 2006 is still working perfectly,my wife uses it now.

I agree with you on this. Apple's recycle program is also a good thing.

Derekorz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I remember...

I Remember when apple included a microfiber cleaning cloth with the ipod touch, and also a dock connector....

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I Remember when apple included a microfiber cleaning cloth with the ipod touch, and also a dock connector....

You mean dock adapter. :)

apple-ipod-touch-dock-adapter-3-pack.jpg

macs4nw

macrumors 601
this site is like the gathering of Apple's protectors.

With more than a few 'haters' thrown in for good?? measure. :(

.....if you have to give it as a gift you have to buy the extra plug and the whole "you don't need a computer" doesn't really work if you cannot charge it.....

Not too many people these days have an iPod, and no computer, or at the very least, access to a computer. If you feel bad for your 'giftees', include the charger, just as you include batteries, when you give a child a toy, and as noted before, you can pick those adapters up for a couple of $$.

It also helps to be an educated consumer; check the website or READ THE BOX.

.....Can the Touch be charged using those USB-power adapters that come with other phones? :confused:

The 'Touch' can be charged with anything that has a USB port on it, whether it's a home adapter, car adapter or any make of computer or laptop. If you had an adapter with a lower wattage than 5W, the iPod would just take longer to be fully charged. Also, you cannot 'damage' an iPod by using the iPad's 10W, or in the case of iPad4, 12W adapter.

.....turning on a computer to charge an iPod is probably not the most efficient method.....

Most people that I know, never completely turn off their computers; They either leave it in 'Stand-by', or put it in 'Sleep' mode, and in both cases the USB ports are 'live', ie able to charge connected iDevices. Only when the computer is completely turned off, does the USB port go 'dead'.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
With more than a few 'haters' thrown in for good?? measure. :(

Not too many people these days have an iPod, and no computer, or at the very least, access to a computer. If you feel bad for your 'giftees', include the charger, just as you include batteries, when you give a child a toy, and as noted before, you can pick those adapters up for a couple of $$.

It also helps to be an educated consumer; check the website or READ THE BOX.

The 'Touch' can be charged with anything that has a USB port on it, whether it's a home adapter, car adapter or any make of computer or laptop. If you had an adapter with a lower wattage than 5W, the iPod would just take longer to be fully charged. Also, you cannot 'damage' an iPod by using the iPad's 10W, or in the case of iPad4, 12W adapter.

Most people that I know, never completely turn off their computers; They either leave it in 'Stand-by', or put it in 'Sleep' mode, and in both cases the USB ports are 'live', ie able to charge connected iDevices. Only when the computer is completely turned off, does the USB port go 'dead'.

We have found ourselves an Apple publicist here.

U know what, 8 out of 10 who bought ipod will sooner or later buy an extra adapter especially for their device. It is an excuse to assume that no one would turn off their computers or own another $499 Ipad so the adaptor can be shared.

Jord5i

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Although I do agree it's crazy it's not included... it has never been... so no big surprise there

macs4nw

macrumors 601
U know what, 8 out of 10 who bought ipod will sooner or later buy an extra adapter especially for their device. It is an excuse to assume that no one would turn off their computers or own another $499 Ipad so the adaptor can be shared.

Publicist? No, my friend, merely trying to be helpful to other posters. Remember, the purpose of this site is not only for complaining, but also for the exchange of ideas and for advice from others in the 'MAC' community. Maybe you should keep that in mind the next time, when you feel the need to put someone else down.

As to your adapter comment, APPLE has for whatever reason, decided not to include it, and it is clearly noted on the website AND on the packaging. If you believe that's wrong, then vote with your wallet.

Itouch g1

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Ottawa

8 out of 10? Have a source for that?

My 2001 iPod classic came with a charger but the 5.5 gen video, Touch 1st gen and Touch 5th gen didn't. Honestly I never noticed, and I haven't picked up a charger either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.