Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
That's false, Apple has ZERO say in your upgrade cycle or the contract date you sign with your carrier.
I know its very hard for you to understand, maybe in the future you will get it:D

Ok let me put it in simpler terms since I guess you didn't understand what I meant. I think that at ATT you can upgrade on the first day of the month of the month of your upgrade. However, ATT doesn't like to do this so when I went in they told me I had to wait until the 23rd. However, when I went into the Apple store the ATT system allowed it and since they don't care either way they just went through the system. I am not saying Apple has any power I am saying that the ATT system allows the upgrade but at the store they tried to deny it to me saying I had to wait. I hope that helps you understand my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok let me put it in simpler terms since I guess you didn't understand what I meant. I think that at ATT you can upgrade on the first day of the month of the month of your upgrade. However, ATT doesn't like to do this so when I went in they told me I had to wait until the 23rd. However, when I went into the Apple store the ATT system allowed it and since they don't care either way they just went through the system. I am not saying Apple has any power I am saying that the ATT system allows the upgrade but at the store they tried to deny it to me saying I had to wait. I hope that helps you understand my point.

All you have to do is dial *639# on your AT&T phone and you will get a message with your exact date. Or keep checking, it only takes seconds. You dont need to go to a corporate store or any store at all.
I also had an upgrade on my family plan that was due on November 24.
For months now I been checking and it was the same.
At the beggining of November I checked again and it now said that its available for upgrade with a $36 upgrade fee.
So AT&T moved it not Apple or anyone else.
I went to Radio Shack that had an iphone 5 available and did the upgrade with no probs on November 8.
Radio shack didnt move my upgrade date or they just dont care as you assumed.
They just access AT&T's upgrade database and went on with the subsidy and 2 year agreement.
Hope that clears it up for you.
Apple, Radio shack, Walmart, Target, best buy or any other retailer cannot move or change your contract upgrade data without your carriers permission.
The only one that's dense here its you.
I'm done talking to a wall.
Have a good day.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
All you have to do is dial *639# on your AT&T phone and you will get a message with your exact date. Or keep checking, it only takes seconds. You dont need to go to a corporate store or any store at all.
I also had an upgrade on my family plan that was due on November 24.
For months now I been checking and it was the same.
At the beggining of November I checked again and it now said that its available for upgrade with a $36 upgrade fee.
So AT&T moved it not Apple or anyone else.
I went to Radio Shack that had an iphone 5 available and did the upgrade with no probs on November 8.
Radio shack didnt move my upgrade date or they just dont care as you assumed.
They just access AT&T's upgrade database and went one with the subsidy and 2 year agreement.
Hope that clears it up for you.
Apple, Radio shack, Walmart, Target, best buy or any other retailer cannot move or change your contract upgrade data without your carriers permission.

Yes, thank you that's exactly what I'm saying. None of these places can move anything. But they also don't care when you upgrade as long as the system let's them. So in my case I wasn't due till the 23rd, went in the 1st and was denied. Went to Apple and was allowed. Which means I should have just been able to do it in an ATT store but they wouldn't let me. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Joining the AT&T lovefest.

I preordered a Note 2 and with discounts and credits, ended up paying under $50 on a 2 year contract.

Not sure what AT&T did but a couple days later, I'm now fully eligibile for an upgrade at discounted pricing. :eek: :D

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Almost a year with AT&T and things couldn't have been better.

My dad inadvertently called to Cambodia without realizing his phone card wasn't taking the hit until I got the $200 overage text ($350 in extra charges). AT&T was kind enough to cut the damage in half.

I'm also pleased that in the two trips to Canada within the month lasting a total of 4 days, using 87MB under the 120MB Global add-on, I only incurred $7 in charges. Apparently the iPhone AT&T app allows you to turn on/off data roaming add-on and is pro-rated by days used.

Last edited:

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
When I got my 4s with them last year they seemed to have greatly improved their customer service since when I used to be with them back in 2008. Only problem these days is their pricing.

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL
Been with AT&T Since '99 which was Cingular and have never had any issues with AT&T. I also have U-Verse for Home & Business and i love that too

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
So u got suckered into upgrading all three lines and became a slave to att for another 6 years. Great customer service I tell u

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
So u got suckered into upgrading all three lines and became a slave to att for another 6 years. Great customer service I tell u

1. If someone decides to make a decision based on what they feel suits them best, there's no "suckering" involved.

2. A personal decision to change plans has nothing to do with quality of customer service.

3. Signing a renewal contract with a company that you have never had a problem with does not equal "becoming a slave."

4. 3 simultaneous renewals is still only 2 years each, not 6 years.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I to have never had a problem with AT&T and all their upgrade offers to keep you tied to them, but try leaving them for someone else when your contract expires. I tried leaving them to bundle my cellular with ISP and TV service. Well over an hour of becoming irate with their customer jerks constantly telling me I am making a bad decision and dealing with one jerk after another, they finally got the message that I was leaving them no matter what they said. I had to go through 3 people and over 1 hour of abuse by them to get my message through that there was nothing they could say to keep me as a client. I have never in my life had to get into a verbal fighting match with anyone to end a service. I was livid when I finished with them and had been a customer in good standing for over 10 years. I would never recommend them to anyone as their customer service is the worst of the worst. And their upgrade offers are the worst on the market. I am sure there are those of you who will disagree with me, and up to that point I had never had a problem with them, but after that experience, what am I to say.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I've found that the most effective response to pressure techniques over the phone (and I get them a lot from AT&T trying to sell me U-verse and from Comcast trying to sell me internet & landline service) is a firm "No, thank you" and "I'm absolutely not interested" at every turn. Say it like you mean it and don't get upset. They should feel like they've hit a brick wall. I am that brick wall. :)

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
"I to have never had a problem with AT&T and all their upgrade offers to keep you tied to them, but try leaving them for someone else when your contract expires. I tried leaving them to bundle my cellular with ISP and TV service."

Huh? If your contract was finished you didn't need ATT's permission to move. You did not have to even talk to them. Whose leg you pulling? You tried to terminate your contract before it ended. The truth would help.

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
1. If someone decides to make a decision based on what they feel suits them best, there's no "suckering" involved.

2. A personal decision to change plans has nothing to do with quality of customer service.

3. Signing a renewal contract with a company that you have never had a problem with does not equal "becoming a slave."

4. 3 simultaneous renewals is still only 2 years each, not 6 years.

I guess u got suckered Into a similar situation and are stuck for a while too LOL

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Joining the AT&T lovefest.

I preordered a Note 2 and with discounts and credits, ended up paying under $50 on a 2 year contract.

Not sure what AT&T did but a couple days later, I'm now fully eligibile for an upgrade at discounted pricing. :eek: :D

what discounts, how? I still haven't ordered the Note 2 yet. Really want it.

----------

WTF are you talking about? The 2 years don't stack on top of each other.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
AT&T credited me $250 dollars towards my bill on yesterday...my issue was simple...I just upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 5 on wednesday and somehow my $30 grandfathered unlimited was converted to a $40 enterprise unlimited plan...I called to ask how and why (very calmly and politely) and he switched it back with no problem. I then asked to reduced my minute plan from 900 to 450 minutes and because it took longer than expected the CSR credited me $125 towards my account...I thanked him and was about to hang up when he noticed that he forgot to include my rollover minutes...after adding my 9000 rollover minutes back he then credited me another $125 to my account....I couldn't be happier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.